Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MWC Notched Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MWC Notched Roll Cage

Hey guys, I just found an awesome dude in town that has agreed to do my roll cage. So as of right now the car is completely gutted and I will be ordering the MWC 8.50 cage with pretty much every addition to it (X bar, Bay bar, net, etc.)except the carbon fiber cover.

Few quick questions for yall. All apply to my 99' Firebird.

1. What would be the estimated time frame to install such cage?
Mainly asking for welder to preplan a schedule.

2. Other than kit itself, is there anything special I need to buy with it for install?

3. Does Midwest Chassis have a door bars that isn't curved for interior door panels? I don't think I care but it doesn't hurt to ask.

4. Does MWC kit come with the 6"x6" plates?

5. When they (NHRA) say that aftermarket seats need to be mounted to the cage, does that mean that the aluminum seat needs to be welded to the mild steel cage?

6. Has anyone done bay bars? what do I have to do to get them in? I plan on cutting out the cowl but im unsure if I need to cut it out first of if I can get away with doing it after.

7. Best cage treatment/paint?

Please, if there is any input, comment. I would like to place my order soon
Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Yep it does come with all the plates. Door bars curve around the door panels perfectly. IIRC it was around 15-20 hrs to put in from start to finish. Cage fit very well and looks custom. Lots of compliments and my buddy did an awesome job tig welding it in. You can fit your seat and then weld a piece of tubing on the cage with a small bracket that meets up to the seat and bolt it together. I'll see if I have any pics of mine
Old 04-21-2017, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Do yourself a favor and get chrome moly. Lighter weight, stronger and if you ever sell the car it will help with the resale
Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Time frame is dependent on capabilities. Like Silly Speed Mention giving yourself a good 15-20 hours time frame should make life easier. If the vehicle is already gutted then that time frame will drop.

We supply everything needed as far as the cage and accessories including floor plates. You just needed your tools to make it happen.

We could do straighter bars but it isn't very common and they wouldn't be completely straight.

They mean attaching with brackets and bolts when it comes to the seat mounting.

Doing bay bars it is easier at the same time to do a cowl removal kit. Attempting to do it others wise is an extreme hassle.

As for cage paint any good quality will work but nothing will stop it from rubbing off where you climb in and out of the vehicle.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What would y'all charge for a install like this at your shop MWC?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Midwest Chassis cage kit is excellent. Fitment was awesome. I started with the chromoly 8.50 kit from MWC and then we added to it for my specific needs. I was beyond impressed with the fitment right from the get go. Give those guys a call I'm sure they can put together a kit that will meet your needs.

Aaron @ Scoggin Dickey Parts Center
Email:Aaron387@sdparts.com
Phone: 1-800-456-0211 Ext: 324
Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
What would y'all charge for a install like this at your shop MWC?
Depends on what we are installing and if the vehicle is gutted or not.

Quick Reply: MWC Notched Roll Cage