Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 gto rear suspension must haves

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017 | 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default 2004 gto rear suspension must haves

Can anybody steer me in the right direction on suspension upgrades to the rear of my wife's gto? It's a ls1 with cam and ported 243s, has a fti srl3800 stall , I'm currently on the fence of what nitrous setup to install but I want to know the best way to get this car too hook up? I'm gonna run Hoosier dot radial 2s, and from what I can gather bmr drag bags are where it's at to avoid wheel hop. Now do I run pedders rear springs and shocks to boot with the bags? The car will be running a 200 shot to begin with until the 408 is done then a 400 single stage , ramped in with a lpe ncc-002. Any advice is appreciated ! Thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2017 | 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you plan in being in the range of 900 hp? You might consider a minitub and coilovers with that kind of power. I have drag bags but anti-hop axles ended my wheel
hop. That will be a fun car.
Old 05-12-2017 | 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would say yeah around there but it won't be all at once , the car will be leaving on 500-600 tops , if won't be full on till it's already in 2nd/ possibly 3rd . I was thinking the pedders rear shocks and springs , with drag bags to start . I don't think I'm gonna need more than a solid fender roll , being progressive as long as it can hook off the line on motor/ small shot, it should be able to keep traction as the nitrous comes in harder over the length of the run . I guess I should've been more specific and asked what it takes to get these cars to hook up at 500-550 rwhp, once moving I think she'll be alright . I think I'm gonna run a set of toyo proxes tq drag radials on the street , and a set of Hoosier dot radial 2s on the strip. I've had insanely good luck with my turbo z28 with the tq radials! Rain or dry, hot or cold , they always stay pretty planted .We will be racing street classes only "street trophy/ street money" so the car has to meet all dot requirements . I know nothing about this car aside from the fact that my wife wants to race this season , and this is the car she chose for me to build , to do it
Old 05-12-2017 | 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You might find some more specific info on ls1gto. There are several guys over there running that kind of power and I think some are using the Pedders drag set up. If I were you I would seriously consider a four corner drag coilover set up like GForce sells so you get adjustability for different track conditions, especially if you are ever going to run no prep. But that will cost a lot more than the pedders set up. Also, at your expected hp, I would switch to heavy duty axles and stubs for sure.
Old 05-12-2017 | 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I plan on building a bulletproof rear diff . Axles , stubs , and much much more . A performa built 4l60 will be in order if this locally built 4l60 gives "I'm sure it will" as long as it's not leaving on an enormous amount of torque i.e.: 200 rwhp shot of giggle gas , I think the drive train will hold up . Ill be installing s one piece driveshaft from the dss. I'd like to get the car to leave on a brake but not sure how the wife would do launching like that

Quick Reply: 2004 gto rear suspension must haves