Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookong for career advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookong for career advice

I really want to get into motorsports fabrication and somehow make a career out of building high performance motors and fabrication of motorsport vehicles. Ive recently signed up to take a motorsports fabrication course at ivy tech. I know this is the beginning to a never ending education lol but where should i go next? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start building things! Your work will be your resume in that kind of business.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Exactly. Beyond education--in anything creative--you need a build a "portfolio" so-to-speak of what you're capable of. There is no better instruction that diving into something, failing a couple times, learning from your mistakes and getting the wisdom, satisfaction, experience, and general knowledge of how to get things done.

Some (parents and girlfriends, especially) may say spending money on a project is a waste of money. But if you're set on getting into that field, it's a better "investment" than most things. Work your part-time job or full-time if you're lucky enough. Continue your education. Be confident in the path you want to take. Don't let the dream killers dissuade you from pursuing your passions. But start something you think is cool, be determined to finish it, challenge yourself but set realistic goals for it, and get some enjoyment out of it. You don't have to spend nearly as much money on it as you think, either. I think Matt at Sloppy Mechanics can vouch for that.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

And remember that when you make your Passion a job,, its a job ..
Some guys enjoy the fab work 24x7, until they have to make deadlines
and run a business.. Then it gets less fun in a hurry..

Know several top notch fab guys that did it for a few years then bail out because they couldn't have fun anymore playing with the toys..

Some it works out great, especially if the shop is convenient to home and track so you don't disappear on any significant other(s)...
Old 05-26-2017, 10:01 PM

Wow thanks everyone! Didnt expect this much feedback i really appreciate all of the advice. I have two vehicles and was actually plannimg on doing something with both of them i have a 98 chevy silverado and a 2000 z28 camaro. Figured id start with the truck and go from there. There common builds though so im thinkimg of little things to do that arent so original.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:17 PM

Also as far as a collage education goes what classes should i look into? Im guessing science and automotive engineering? But what else
Old 05-30-2017, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go to a real college and focus on science and math. Get a good white collar job. Get a house with a nice shop with a Tig, lathe and bridge port. Then you will have after work and the weekends to learn and build all sorts of cool ****.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd suggest going into the Engineering field. Can get you the training and experience to learn things that you can apply to fabrication.

As for engine building, I'd suggest looking into S.A.M. school in Texas. I went to UNOH in Lima (where I'm from), and thought that there's stuff that I didn't learn about that I wanted to. If machining and stuff like that is something you want to learn.. Id suggest SAM school.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

yea SAMs and UNOH are where I would look to get your education from.

I will be attending SAMs in Nov for their EFI Motorsports Tuning course. If I was 10+ years younger and not already semi-retired I would do the 4 year program and UNOH then maybe SAMs.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Teching In

I agree with everyone else.

Get a good full time job, move up as you can. Go to school. Buy house with garage...marriage is optional but know that usually with that comes kids, etc and yeah your dream will get pushed back more times than you'll ever believe lol...ask me how I know. Pick a car, tear it down and build it up, take as many pictures as possible, these will go a long way in building a resume. You may want to pick up a MIG or TIG welder...get some junk metal and start welding pieces together. A lot of welding supply places can tell you where to go to school to learn how to weld much better but its up to you how well. You can just do a quick internet search for schools too.

Honestly...IMO I wouldnt start a business unless its just a side income, others have pointed out why. But it may work for you...referrals, friends...they all go a long way.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hardcoresoldier
yea SAMs and UNOH are where I would look to get your education from.

I will be attending SAMs in Nov for their EFI Motorsports Tuning course. If I was 10+ years younger and not already semi-retired I would do the 4 year program and UNOH then maybe SAMs.
Save your money and go to SAM, they offer a much better program, In my opinion.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

UNOH offers a lot of fields that SAMs does not.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to UNOH, and didn't get near the classes that I wanted to take. SAM offers classes in CNC, and stuff like that where UNOH Did not.

When I went through the programs, I was/am at a point where there was no way I could move and live in Texas to go to SAM school.. which is why I didn't go there. I would have preferred to for sure.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:10 PM

Okay one more question, and again thanks to everyone for their advice i really appreciate it, but how good of an industry is it to get into? Ive done the bullshit mechanic work and ots just not my thing but i love workimg on cars just not every shitty rustbucket down here in indiana. Im willing to work as hard as i have to and possibly can to get into the racing industry but then what kind of oppurtunities are out there? Im not really out to become a billionair or anything lol i just want to persue what i love and have enough time and money to play with fast cars here and there on my free time. Is this realistic in this field.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Yep, and spend all your money on tools, and all your time learning. Its a lifestyle not just a job. Oh, and be prepared to start at the bottom wherever you go.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My best advice is never stop learning, or trying to learn.

When you stop being willing to learn, you've sealed your own fate. I gave up the dealer life to learn the engine testing stuff (AVL North America), and love it. Getting to see and do things in the automotive field is amazing. I put 5 years into the dealer life before doing a career change. I'm currently running a Road Load simulation dyno for GM at their Milford Proving Grounds. I can't get into what I'm working on, but its cool to see and work with the new and future technology. Along with getting to work with equipment that's unbelievably expensive.

If I had to do something different, instead of getting into the auto/diesel repair side, of things... it'd be engineering. There's always a want/need for young and smart engineers.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Honestly, the auto performance market is hard to get into, start out of your own garage building anything you can.

Look into electrician, plumber, hvac, toolmaker apprentice program.. as these are jobs that will never ever go away, pay well, can be your own business (not antoolmaker as much but still).

My .02

Quick Reply: Lookong for career advice