Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MWC 8 point roll bar install questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You want to try and keep the angle of the shoulder straps at 10 degrees or less if possible. Too much angle can pull down on your body if you were in an accident, and compress the spine. Shoulder straps are primarily just to keep you from moving forward, while the lap belts keep you seated, and submarines keep you from sliding out. It may just be the angle of the picture, if so disregard!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B18B1LS1
You want to try and keep the angle of the shoulder straps at 10 degrees or less if possible. Too much angle can pull down on your body if you were in an accident, and compress the spine. Shoulder straps are primarily just to keep you from moving forward, while the lap belts keep you seated, and submarines keep you from sliding out. It may just be the angle of the picture, if so disregard!
thank you for the info I'll try and take some measurements and figure out the angle. But I do think they're setup pretty close to correctly then because now that you explain that, that is honestly exactly how they feel like they're working. I strap the lap belts first and they keep me planted down in the seat and once I get the shoulder belts on I can't move forward much at all. I learned this when my helmet was too far out of reach on my last pass and I had to unstrap the buckles lol ... must be angle of pic because they really almost shoot straight through the seat holes. Maybe an inch or two of rise in them tops.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

sry tk bring back an old thread. how much of a PITA was it to get the headliner back in once the cage was installed
Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I chunked mine. Decided not to even attempt it LOL.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is a significant pain in the *** lol. I wrapped mine in plastic and it was really tight. Parts of it ended up getting smashed in pretty good, but it still looks better than no headliner.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

The easiest way to do a rollcage and keep the headliner is to remove the front window pull it out from that opening and reinstall it back through that opening. It does still take some finagling but makes it easier if you want to keep the headliner and not worry about burning the headliner or getting paint on it.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure where pre-bent cages sit on the floor. My car I did the old way. Bent the main hoop, halo and front bars all set up on loose floor plates. Marked where I needed to drill holes to drop those 4 legs through so I could weld all the tops then picked it back up and put the plates under. Also painted the top half before picking it up. Never even took the headliner out.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Thats a good way and was suggested to me. I did the 75% weld rule and added gussets at every intersection of pipe. Seemed like a quicker easier option for a first time cage install.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by midwestchassis2
the easiest way to do a rollcage and keep the headliner is to remove the front window pull it out from that opening and reinstall it back through that opening. It does still take some finagling but makes it easier if you want to keep the headliner and not worry about burning the headliner or getting paint on it.

👍👍👍👍

Quick Reply: MWC 8 point roll bar install questions