Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual rack, what to do with pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default manual rack, what to do with pump?

Hey guys long story short, I'm going to be buying MWC's "stage two" kit that has the k member and a arms, and I figured I'd upgrade to the manual rack as well. My question is how to run no power steering ump and pulley? I saw some threads but they were pretty old and just wanted to see what people are doing now.

I'm hoping this set up drops a good amount of weight off the car. and frees up some space!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Just get an adjustable alternator bracket, ditch the tensioner and get the right belt that you need
Old 10-24-2017, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock alternator bracket is fine...remove the idler pulley on stock alternator bracket. route belt around crank, around alternator, under water pump and up around stock tensioner. I used a Dayco 52.5 inch belt (5060525). I literally just did this last week. One alternator bracket bolt will be VERY close...I have a spare belt for when it shreds, but I'll be removing that bolt and going to fastenal to find a button head style bolt to replace it hopefully before something happens. Let me find a picture of how I did it...You'll probably save about 105 lbs from tubular front suspension and manual rack. I was 3760 with me in the car before the swap. Lost all stock front suspension went tubular front end and manual rack, and did an SJM abs delete and battery to the back. Car now weighs 3650 with me in it on the same scale.

Last edited by allblackedout5; 10-24-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Old 10-24-2017, 04:45 PM
9 Second Club

Not my car, but that's a screen shot of the same routing I used from someone else's post on here. It's very simple.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by allblackedout5
Not my car, but that's a screen shot of the same routing I used from someone else's post on here. It's very simple.
thank you for the info! No issues with belt slip or anything?
Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
thank you for the info! No issues with belt slip or anything?
This may sound ridiculous, but I finished that setup Thursday night (technically Friday morning) around 2am, loaded it on a trailer and then unloaded it at 8am Friday morning for an alignment. Loaded it back up where it sat until Saturday afternoon when we left for ATCO, Sunday morning pulled it off the trailer and made 3 passes. Loaded it back up and its sat on my trailer since. So I can't really comment on belt slip, because I've hardly driven it since the swaps. But for the little run time it had, it reached operating temperature, did not go above, and the battery held 12.8 volts the entire day. So I'm assuming the belt did its job.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

This may sound ridiculous, but I finished that setup Thursday night (technically Friday morning) around 2am, loaded it on a trailer and then unloaded it at 8am Friday morning for an alignment. Loaded it back up where it sat until Saturday afternoon when we left for ATCO, Sunday morning pulled it off the trailer and made 3 passes. Loaded it back up and its sat on my trailer since. So I can't really comment on belt slip, because I've hardly driven it since the swaps. But for the little run time it had, it reached operating temperature, did not go above, and the battery held 12.8 volts the entire day. So I'm assuming the belt did its job.
nice, you were at the sk rental?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

I went to Petey Smallblocks Grudge Day Massacre at ATCO Sunday. Was a LONG day... lots of catastrophic failures on the track.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

I went to Petey Smallblocks Grudge Day Massacre at ATCO Sunday. Was a LONG day... lots of catastrophic failures on the track.

oh yea, I saw a few people say in the lanes all day and didn’t even make a pass
Old 10-25-2017, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
oh yea, I saw a few people say in the lanes all day and didn’t even make a pass
Yea I'll be honest it really sucked...ultimately I had a great day but in anticipation of racing all day and trying to make a little side cash, my buddies and I went down with 5 cars on trailers Saturday night, paid for a hotel...went out drinking (BAD IDEA) and all got up hungover as hell at 8am Sunday morning and loaded up and were at the track by 915. We were unloaded tech'd in and in the staging lanes by 1015 and didn't make my first pass until after 4pm. Event was cool, track was awesome...but it was a long long long day for not a whole lot of fun.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Funny thing is, if that setup above did get a little belt slip it'd be on the water pump pulley only, and probably only at WOT at high rpm's for a few seconds only.. saving some horsepower. lol
Old 10-26-2017, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found another way here, where you change out the smooth idler pulley near the alternator for a grooved pulley and run a longer belt. You get more belt wrap on the water pump. I had to shim the pulley to line up, but been going almost 2 years strong and no issues.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
Just get an adjustable alternator bracket, ditch the tensioner and get the right belt that you need
^^^awesome answer^^ Jegs makes one for $100. Better yet do a EWP and go alt only
Old 11-02-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Water pump doesn't need much wrappage. Crank pulley needs as much belt contact as possible.

My setup is crank pulley, water pump, alt in oem tensioner spot with adj bracket for fixed tensioner. No slippage, no idlers, no spring tensioner. Looks like the screenshot above except alt in top passenger side and nothing on the driver side. Dunno if its perfect but it works.

Quick Reply: manual rack, what to do with pump?