Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO inconsistencies

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO inconsistencies

Got my daughter's GTO tuned, it was pretty darn consistent then last weekend it varied a full second in teh 1/8 mile it wasn't every pass and I cannot get it to act up driving it around town.
Any advice, she said it shifts fine just feels really slow.
She deep stages and the 60ft times go from 1.98's to 2.10's but it isn't spinning.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, Jeff.

It's difficult to say exactly what it is without a way to log the car, but I'd check with the tuner.

I've raced with you guys before; my name is Chris, I have a Pewter Z28 with black wheels. I talked with you and Rob at OSW a few weekends ago.

I have HP Tuners and have tuned my own car. I'd be interested in what the Intake Air Temperatures (IAT) were on all of those passes; there are spark modifiers for IAT and Engine Coolant Temperature and those can move the timing up and down. If the timing was advanced any above stock in the new tune and the car experiences any knock, the PCM can pull timing out and slow the car down as well.

Is it a 5.7, or a 6.0? If it's a 6.0 it might be worth looking into relocating the IAT sensor away from the MAF housing.

Let me know if I can help out.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gatD281
Got my daughter's GTO tuned, it was pretty darn consistent then last weekend it varied a full second in teh 1/8 mile it wasn't every pass and I cannot get it to act up driving it around town.
Any advice, she said it shifts fine just feels really slow.
She deep stages and the 60ft times go from 1.98's to 2.10's but it isn't spinning.

Thanks,
Jeff
I bracket race a GTO, and my car has been deadly consistent over the past year since I figured out the suspension. It's not easy to do, but these cars can run great! What does the car have done to it aside from the tune? Suspension can lead to extreme inconsistency because 1.98-2.10 is a huge swing and each .01 can make a difference of .02 or more. Beyond that, what temperatures are you running going into the water box? It's important to make sure that they're the same every single time, down to the degree.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Best thing you can do if you want it consistent, engine wise isn’t just heat soak it and leave it that way- easiest thing to maintain.

As for suspension- if it still varying like that you have issues or not enough traction. Put a slick on it ditch the radial if you’re on a radial- slick will be more consistent on an inconsistent starting line.

Quick Reply: GTO inconsistencies