Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the calculations to be made for double wishbone suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the calculations to be made for double wishbone suspensions

I want to decide the suspensions for SAE BAJA ATV. How should i decide and what are the calculations to be made ?
Old 07-26-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I've been a staff person helping with Mini Baja,, KEEEP ITTT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!

Do rear trailing arm like a dune buggy, front double A-arm, driver control and not getting red-rage trying to win is key.

Mini baja is a survival test. Flex is good. Make sure you know the weight and test the suspension with the drivers so you don't bottom out too much, make sure you have measures to control bottoming.

Make the drive-train as efficient as possible. < slip = good. Skinny taller aggressive tires with solid ribs in the center roll easier,
Quality bearings and supports. Its not cheap to do this..

Make the frame tough, especially at suspension pickup points, weld failure is common, then tube cracking,
DO NOT use Crome Moly, for a buggy it needs weld normalization and you likely won't have the facility to
do it unless you find a good sponsor with a oven.

READ the rule book, then read it again, repeat until you find every loophole possible,
there are some in there on purpose...

Make sure there is NO loss ends on safety items, I did tech a couple times and sent many teams back for late night modifications for safety.
(Check the car fit with all drivers, you'd be amazed at how many teams get dq'd for short roll-bars,,,, )

Your A-arms are determined by the current legal width of the rules, you want to be as close to the limit as possible, USE WHEEL SPACERS,
you want the basic buggy to fit in the limit easily then based on tire and wheel you can get to the limit, (there is a handling section)

Read the event plan and scoring section carefully, sometimes you'll make better points by not running a section hard, better to finish than break.

Look.at an AFCO catalog, dirt track arms are straight forward, it will give you an idea of the basic shapes.. Dwarf car parts are the perfect size..

And ,, READ books on suspension, you need to understand shock moments of movement and Ackerman angles, and bump steer.

Quick Reply: What are the calculations to be made for double wishbone suspensions