Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input on upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input on upgrade

So I picked up a 2001 5.3 stock with 140k on it it's going in my 75 sqaurebody it's used for a burnout comp truck and needs more than the stock s/b I have a 54mm turbo I picked up off a ford focus with an intercooler can I achieve 8-10psi with that on my motor without serious complication beyond tuning...disclaimer I'm a newbie to ls and also to turbo motor upgrade

Last edited by Willgeezy88; 12-29-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

A bone stock 5.3 is making close to double the power of the 350 that was originally found in a '75. If all you need is to spin the tires you can probably do it stock as long as you don't get super sticky rubber. If you need more go long tube headers and free flow exhaust along with emissions delete and a good tune. It's really not hard to get a gen3 or newer v8 to make the power that people dreamed of back in the day.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by bammax
A bone stock 5.3 is making close to double the power of the 350 that was originally found in a '75. If all you need is to spin the tires you can probably do it stock as long as you don't get super sticky rubber. If you need more go long tube headers and free flow exhaust along with emissions delete and a good tune. It's really not hard to get a gen3 or newer v8 to make the power that people dreamed of back in the day.
thank you for your input it's very possible I may run the motor naturally aspirated this year I'm aware in the almost double power over the stock motor that's the interest in doing the ls swap but the motorhead inside me wants to go above and beyond eventually so just poking around for further knowledge also truck will be used for burnouts but if in the event that I can make more power with minor addons I wouldn't be against taking it down the strip for grudge matches and fun nothing competition wise
Old 12-30-2018, 12:46 AM
Launching!

that tiny turbo will likely cause you a world of head aches. LS are big cube when compares to anything traditionally turbo charged. that turbo is from what I assume to be a 2.0 ltr engine. you're going to put it on 5,3 lts and expect the turbine to flow?

it wont, even at 8-10 psi. it will be a choke point and cause massive back pressure which will hurt the engine.

turbos and burnout cars aren't an ideal combo. they tend to generate a lot of heat very quickly. without road speed to aid in cooling they get hot. unless they're on methanol.

you'd be better off with a decent cam and exhaust. it'll make plenty of power N/A
Old 12-30-2018, 12:52 AM

Thank you that is exactly what info I was looking for yes that turbo came off a 2 liter 4 banger so I wasn't sure if it would help or hinder performance
Old 12-30-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm going to tell you something I wish someone would have said to me. If you have a SBC already. Save your money, time, and aggrevation and just build it. Changing to the LS is going to cost you way more. All you need is a cam and a decent set of heads. My son has a SBC in his mud truck. All he did was a set of flat tops with stock cast crank and stock 5.7 rods. With a set of camel humps and a flat tappet cam. Edelbrock prefomer rpm intake and a mechanical double pump 850cfm Speed Demon. Truck has a stick and will burn the 44 boggers like nothing. Motor is 450hp n/a. Then he sprays a 150 shot on top of that. Motor has had at least 50 bottles through it over the years. And when your in a bog and spraying. You may empty the whole bottle before you get out of the pit. We built a 800hp dart ls 427. To get 1100 + out of that we have to spray it quite a bit. For the same or probably less money I could have built a Dart big m 500+ cubic inch big block that would have put out 1100+hp N/A. Too much hype over these Ls motors. They are expensive if you do build them. My sons SBC runs on regular gas an pulls 18 inches of vacuum too. And regular is what goes through the plate too. Have never even nipped a plug either.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TTur1996
I'm going to tell you something I wish someone would have said to me. If you have a SBC already. Save your money, time, and aggrevation and just build it. Changing to the LS is going to cost you way more. All you need is a cam and a decent set of heads. My son has a SBC in his mud truck. All he did was a set of flat tops with stock cast crank and stock 5.7 rods. With a set of camel humps and a flat tappet cam. Edelbrock prefomer rpm intake and a mechanical double pump 850cfm Speed Demon. Truck has a stick and will burn the 44 boggers like nothing. Motor is 450hp n/a. Then he sprays a 150 shot on top of that. Motor has had at least 50 bottles through it over the years. And when your in a bog and spraying. You may empty the whole bottle before you get out of the pit. We built a 800hp dart ls 427. To get 1100 + out of that we have to spray it quite a bit. For the same or probably less money I could have built a Dart big m 500+ cubic inch big block that would have put out 1100+hp N/A. Too much hype over these Ls motors. They are expensive if you do build them. My sons SBC runs on regular gas an pulls 18 inches of vacuum too. And regular is what goes through the plate too. Have never even nipped a plug either.
thank you for ur input I picked up the motor for a screaming deal so gives me a bit to throw into install as for my stock s/b I plan on using that in a chevota project for fun