Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I need a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004 | 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Question Think I need a new clutch

Last year on the last day at the track I glazed my clutch pretty bad on the 2nd run. It wouldn't shift at all. I finally got the clutch to work so I just put it in 3rd(still trapped at 100 ) I let it cool and skipped a run and ran one more time and it felt fine. This year I went to the track for my first and on my 1st run was pretty bad (bogged, hit the rev limiter, and spun bad on the 1-2) only managed a 13.8. My friend told me to bring the clutch up faster to avoid bogging. I took his advise and on the 1-2 it wouldn't shift. tried again and got it to shift...ended up with a 14.4@103(got my 60' to drop from 2.23 to a 2.11). Both times this happened my clutch felt really light on the way down and caught really wierd on the way up.

I was wondering with all this does this mean every time I go to the track my clutch is going to do this. I think it is just getting beat..I have only made a total of 9 passes and the car has 29K miles on it. My friend told me to wait till I get some cash and put a new clutch in it before I race again. I was looking at the spec stage one clutch b/c it is only $279 and handles a little over 400 hp. One more question what is a good price to have the clutch installed(labor only)?
Old 07-14-2004 | 12:07 PM
Motorboater

sounds like its fubared to me.

don't race it again until you replace it if you are having that bad of problems as described. you don't want to risk blowing it up to the point you can't get the car home.