Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I use a 2 step??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I use a 2 step??

I have a harlan 2 step that I'm debating about using. I haven't put it on the car yet. Mods are in sig. I don't plan on bracket racing and I'm pretty much just racing for the timeslip. Thanks for any opinions.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it is much use to you since you aren't turbo/sc. `We use it to build boost at the line and it is good for a 6 speed where it is hard to hold a rpm to launch at. If you want to sell it, let me know and I will buy it for my turbo car.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dunno, might be fun... You can wire it up to hold the nitrous relay "off" on the line as you stall up the converter. Then when you release the footbrake, 2-step turns off, and oh-boy...

(that's the way I have mine wired up, but I have a 6-speed... leave the line at WOT, and as soon as I dump the clutch, the nitrous fires off)
Old 07-20-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Camarholic, I have my TH-400 wired with 2-step and transbrake. It hold the nitrous until released and than you get the entire shot out of the hole. Works great.

David
Old 07-21-2004, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

I too am looking for a Two Step..
Old 07-21-2004, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

how much are they?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the heads up. I just don't want to pay for it and get stiffed, I hear he doesn't confirm/call back/correspond.

I have not heard bad things though, other than just backed up always...
Old 07-21-2004, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
I too am looking for a Two Step..
You might be waiting a while. I ordered one from harlan two weeks ago and haven't seen the high nor hell of it yet. Apparently he builds them on his free time. I've hear some people have waited almost a month. From what I have read though, it is worth the wait.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

First, you will not get stiffed. That's stupid. Everybody gets their stuff. Too many posts going on "did I get ripped off by Harlan?"... But then a few days later they have to apologize and eat their words.

But yes, it does take him a while some times. He has a day job too. You should plan on at least a 6 week wait. If it arrives after 4, he's early. If it arrives at 8, he's only 2 weeks behind.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:03 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Harlan is out of town last week and this week in the desert doing some testing for work. He'll be back next week and will likely catch up then. You won't get stiffed, he just has to fill a lot of orders.

I personally don't run one. I just put it on the brake, when I let it go the nitrous hits right away. Actually, I use a timing delay between my brake and the solenoids using a timer relay. Anywhere between 0 seconds and up to 15 seconds of delay are possible in .1 second increments. That helps me adjust the car for index racing. It works really well too.

There was pretty much no reason with an automatic to even use the two step after all the testing I did with it last year. It may be required for boosted cars though, it helps control your launch a little better. I did have a two step hooked up for a while and found that the car simply launched the best completely off the brake.

Anyway, that's my $.02.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 AM
11 Second Club

I use mine soley for consistancy. No trans brake, so when I stall up I have to watch the tach and the lights. With the 2 step I can concentrate on the lights and just floor the gas and launch at the same RPMs every time.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
First, you will not get stiffed. That's stupid. Everybody gets their stuff. Too many posts going on "did I get ripped off by Harlan?"... But then a few days later they have to apologize and eat their words.

But yes, it does take him a while some times. He has a day job too. You should plan on at least a 6 week wait. If it arrives after 4, he's early. If it arrives at 8, he's only 2 weeks behind.
I never assumed I was going to get ripped off, it was just a "thinking aloud" comment. It's just a little unorthodox for an order to be unconfirmed in normal business circles. Also, I am an Investigator for Consumer Affairs, and I take dozens of complaints a week by people who really DID get stiffed with this type of arrangement.

But I am not at all worried. I need better launches on my H/C M6, and I know the Two Step will get me there. I find it difficult to dial in steady rpms while eyeballing the tree.

Order will take place tomorrow!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Default Got My 2 Step In

As I said I would. Harlan didn't make me wait, the guy got it out rather quickly IMO.

I already asked Matt (through e-mail earlier) about my mechanic saying it was risky to run a 2 Step because of the raw gas being flushed into the cylinders, resulting in a *BOOM* when I let it go.

Anyone buy into this possibility? I can't wait to run with it, but I can't afford a big blow!!
Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Hey guys. Harlan replied to my question(s) immediately, and there appears to be no need for worry.

Matt's got it covered. I have had nothing but great service from a guy who has less time than other businesses who never call you back.

With Fall in the air, the cool temps may allow me to break into the 11's....finally. If I can just fix my 60', I'll be there. I would think a car trapping 117's has enough grunt to cut me an 11.XX ET.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like 2 steps in auto's with nitrous, for one it has the nitrous come on as soon as brake button is released, It makes Launching alot easier, just stage the car hit the button a Floor it, also when you let go of the button to leave the TB is already 100 open
Old 10-09-2004, 05:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm installing mine this weekend. Just going through bracket fab for an M6. It works so far and I can't wait to have both momentary switches set up and go try it.

Oh, it took 6 weeks to get, but that was expected.