Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004 | 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Daren I would like that contact info. It's been my feeling all along that the S/E LS1 guys are resleeving blocks to take advantage of the CI limit, which is more than 3.900. That's I think part of the reason the S/E folks run so fast.

I recall someone I know buying a rolling super/stock car for ~$30K I think. So when all is said and done I would think they would spend another $15K to finish the car and make revisions. I think that $50K is a reasonable number BUT I think that a DIYer guy like our folks could probably revise their car into a S/E car.

I would like to think about how we can perhaps re-incorporate S/E cars into our race series, perhaps into F/S somehow.
Old 07-27-2004 | 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Daren I would like that contact info. It's been my feeling all along that the S/E LS1 guys are resleeving blocks to take advantage of the CI limit, which is more than 3.900. That's I think part of the reason the S/E folks run so fast.
John,

I will try to get you a contact. I have built almost identical LT1's with stock bore, .030, and .060 and saw very minimal gains, but that is what you are looking for in Stock. It is a little different mind set. Look for little things through out the whole car.

Like I told you on the telephone way back, once Factory Stock cars reach their potential, Stockers won't stand a chance.

Good Luck,

Daren
Old 07-27-2004 | 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

I have heard that the cams they run in the S/E cars are stock lift. but that the cam lobes have a certian pitch that throws the lifter off the camshaft and gives it the lift.
I have also heard about the muratic acid porting on the aluminum heads...
Old 07-27-2004 | 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Daren, any online links to S/E rules?

Once or twice Tony I and kicked around the idea of having a S/E car...
Old 07-27-2004 | 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

I think that S/E cars should be allowed to run in any ls1tech series class they qualify for. The fact that all S/E lt1/ls1's run an aftermarket fuel injection system will keep them from dominating say a factory stock or modified stock class. The first page of rules for the ls1tech "stock" class says "NO stock eliminator entries", then a few lines down states that aftermarket fuel inj/DFI is a no no. It goes without saying that no S/E cars will be allowed b/c of the no DFI rule.
I agree with Gizmo, the ls1tech series should take a page from NMRA's book. The car counts at the ford events are insane, and that is what makes their races so fun to participate in/watch. IMO the ls1tech series has flip flopped on the rules in its classes too much after the season has started-this is killing the car counts. Why should I spend big bucks to build a stocker ls1 to race for peanuts?-Then to realize that what was legal when I built the car is now illegal b/c of someone's whining. Get the cars in the gates and on the track racing
Old 07-27-2004 | 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Look at the NMCA/NMRA series for examples of how to incorporate different combinations into the same class. A fair weight break system is the only fair way. That way some of the hyd roller stroker guys could run in factory stock, taking a penalty for their extra ci. Should a pump gas, hyd roller, 422 ci be forced to run in Super stroker with all the hi comp solid roller race car guys? I think not. Find a way to incorporate more combinations in your classes and your car counts will increase-along with your bottom line $$$
Old 07-27-2004 | 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Good reading.

http:www.nhra.com/stats/indexes_stk.html

http:http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/class...ion/index.html

http:www.nhra.com/tech_specs/engine/index.html

As far as I know neither the NHRA or IHRA have their rules posted. It's not bad expensive to get a membership to either organization.

http:www.ihra.com

http:www.nhra.com

If I had my choice of classes for LS1 tech it would be just like the NMRA's Factory Stock class. Right down to the factory cam!

Two good S/SS sites.

http:www.classracer.com

http:www.superstockforum.com

I hope that this info helps.

Daren
Old 07-27-2004 | 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

I have always wanted to run S/E, but just never did step up to the plate. I do, however, run a very competitive combinatin in NMRA Factory Stock. To build a competitive 5.0L combination will take $12k-$15k - assuming you start with a decent donor car. The same DOHC 4.6L will be quite a bit more expensive, with a competitive motor costing $10k or more by itself (most of the rest of the stuff is the same).
Old 07-27-2004 | 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01-Z
I keep trying to track down AL Corda when he is @ RT.66 to pick his brain,
but everytime he isn't by his trailer.
Al owns Rock Falls Raceway in Wisconsin. He is usually there when not racing and will test n tune it there.
He is approachable but don't expect him to divulge secrets, it's a highly competitive class. Hi-Tech Motorsports here in MN (also Wheeler performance) both do his engine and chassis work. The more I learn about this class and the LS1 cars that run it, the more I'm impressed. They definitely deserve kudos.
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Gotta love the $75 test/tune prices if my memory serves me right least it cuts down on the people who don't know what they are doing
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

HA, it's $85 Test n Tune. Most from the Twin Cities drive further to Cedar Falls in Iowa.
Old 07-28-2004 | 03:41 AM
Banned

Well you know, what can I say. lol

I'm glad to see that those running the show are considering allowing the S/E guys to compete. As much as I'd like to see the S/E cars in the LS1 races, I doubt it will ever happen. It would probably interfere with thier NHRA schedule and the pay out would have to increase to make it worth their while if there are any races during their off season. Not worth it for them to come out and race and possibly hurt the car. I believe an invitation should be thrown out in their direction nontheless. If any of the top guys do attend, I suggest that we as individuals do not pester them with a million questions, as unintrusively as we might think we may be. Rather, have a group discussion with these guys as the guests of honor. I'm sure they'll be glad to answer questions. They've been racing the LS1 in S/E for several years now and I'm sure they'll provide info about stuff that isn't cutting edge.

I'm also seeing more folks chiming in about the inequities in the current LS1 racing format. And all this while you guys were saying I'm the only one with a problem. LOL I'm not going to put my 2 cents in anymore in the class structure, cause everytime I do I get **** on.

I would only like to say that a NE race (ATCO?) should be on the agenda. The NMRA visits ATCO at least once a year, correct me if I'm wrong Bob. They get a great turnout. Vette day at E-Town last year had over 90 Vettes racing, not to mention the Cartek and Vette Drs entries going head to head to see who's top dog. I'm predicting a NE event would have the biggest turnout of any LS1 event. GMHIGHTECH is based in Jersey if memory serves, so there's another incentive.

And here's the best incentive of all. If my schedule allows it, I'll be there so you guys can spank my 3600 lb/DR 11 sec junk all day long. That is everyone except my boy Fluffy. Sorry Bill, I couldn't resist. LOL
Old 07-28-2004 | 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
...I would only like to say that a NE race (ATCO?) should be on the agenda. The NMRA visits ATCO at least once a year, correct me if I'm wrong Bob. They get a great turnout. ...
Correct. This year, it is August 14/15 (2 1/2 weeks away). Only 6 hour drive for me - shortest of the entire 9 race season.
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

We had a race planned for the NE, but the organizers decided to stick with their own index type rules that they have been using instead of going to a heads up format. So much for "support" huh?
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Daren, any online links to S/E rules?

Once or twice Tony I and kicked around the idea of having a S/E car...
That would be cool , an S/E car sponsered by LS1Tech. Better yet sponser two cars, a Camaro and a Firebird. I'm sure it would be an expensive venture though. The car would be the cheap part, the Toterhome/trailer, travel expenses, etc. would be the major expense. It takes a ton of money to run the series the whole year.
To be honest it has been my dream to compete and travel with the NHRA. I've been a crew member and got a taste of the life style that comes with racing with NHRA, but that's not enough, I want to compete. Unfortunatly I personnally don't have the funds to realize the dream.
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:31 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Originally Posted by Hawkn01
That would be cool , an S/E car sponsered by LS1Tech. Better yet sponser two cars, a Camaro and a Firebird. I'm sure it would be an expensive venture though. The car would be the cheap part, the Toterhome/trailer, travel expenses, etc. would be the major expense. It takes a ton of money to run the series the whole year.
To be honest it has been my dream to compete and travel with the NHRA. I've been a crew member and got a taste of the life style that comes with racing with NHRA, but that's not enough, I want to compete. Unfortunatly I personnally don't have the funds to realize the dream.
Amen Brother!

Coach
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

SE cars are allowed in modifed stock in the thunder shootout. They always have been and there have been cars racing every year since it began.
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
Amen Brother!

Coach
Coach, sounds like we both need to hit one of the big lottorys to realize our dreams.
Old 08-08-2004 | 09:53 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hawkn01
I can say I had one opportunity to race with the big boys, but it was after a hard season of fighting tooth and nail to get there. I'm with ya; I'd love to compete on a national or even divisional level, I've even considered a heads-up class. But sometimes even with the right backing, it can be an uphill climb. That's why I bracket race. Closer, cheaper (to a certain extent ) and still fun!

Derek
Old 08-08-2004 | 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

I agree it's not as easy as it sounds. But it sure would be fun trying to be competitive. The road life is an adventure itself, along with the night life....LOL !

Quick Reply: Stock Eliminator