Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging JS-- what convertor now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging JS-- what convertor now?

JS, I know you said you were going to pull out the #8 pump vig and put in a tp4400.

Did you get a chance to run this setup at the track?

I also noticed that you said in the driveline forum that you plan on switching to a tci convertor. Will this be another 4000+ stall or something small?
I'm just curious to know how the yank faired.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:04 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Paging JS-- what convertor now?

I never had a #8 Vig?
It was a #7 3800 and it worked fine except it wouldnt 60ft too well.The BEST I got out of it was 1.52(ME),Dave from Cartek at the time was 150lbs lighter than me and he got a 1.47 outta of it but he even said it didnt hit the tires as hard as he wouldve liked for my setup.

Well like a dope I sold it instead of getting PI to tweek it about 200 rpm more flash stall.

I then tried a Yank UT4800 which slowed the car down.So I had Yank restall it for to a TP4500 but now it wont lu on the dyno,it shudders on the hwy and frankly I'm pretty discusted with this whole process.This is the 2nd Yank I had problems with Mike.

IMO I shouldve left well enough alone and had my PI restalled ever so slightly,It did require locking it up on the big end but so what?It worked and I didnt have any problems with it.

Now Julio wants me to run the car w/the YANK and get some auto tap info.shift extension,rpm slip in between gears,big end rpm etc...

Then I'll make changes accordingly.I wont pull the converter until we have SOUND data.I'm not making the same mistake twice.If we find out the converter is not performing like it should I'm going to try either a TCS or another PI.

JS
Old 01-13-2003, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JS,
Sorry about the number 8 pump confusion, but I knew you had a bigger-than-7pump vig and assumed it was a number 8.

That sucks the convertor is giving you problems on the dyno and the highway. Is Yank going to replace it? Are you going to track test it even with these problems?
Old 01-13-2003, 03:45 PM
JS
10 Second Club

I'm going to run the car first,Julio wants to make one change to the car at a time.
Then we'll decide the best coarse of action.

JS
Old 01-24-2003, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey JS
you said
IMO I shouldve left well enough alone and had my PI restalled ever so slightly,It did require locking it up on the big end but so what?It worked and I didnt have any problems with it.
I was wondering if that means you actually locked up the converter when making 1/4 pass at the track and if so what does that do for you ? Is that something other people are doing? I have a vig3200 and im thinking of going to a vig3600.
Thanks for the info

Jeremy
Old 01-24-2003, 08:44 AM
JS
10 Second Club

The 3200 doesnt need to be locked up...
Its pretty efficient..

The looser PI can benefit from using a lu switch in 3rd gear.I have see 1.5 MPH by locking mine up,no big deal all u need it to tap into the ECM and run a monentary switch to your steering wheel using a weatherpack connector and a trans brake cable.

JS