Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's petition the NHRA to ease the Rollbar rule on late model cars:

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Let's petition the NHRA to ease the Rollbar rule on late model cars:

This topic has really opened my eyes. I have wanted to put a 6 point in my 12 second car just becuase of safety. But now i am having second thoughts. What if my passenger bounces a head off the paded rollbar? Would i be liable since the cage was not a factory option? Also, would padding really help that much? This is a fine line between track safety and street safety and i am far far far more concerned about street safety. So with that said would a 6 point still be a good idea in a street car?
Old 03-09-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Let's petition the NHRA to ease the Rollbar rule on late model cars:

ok first off any crash over 85mph you chance of walking away is not great. if you roll at that speed its even worse. if you just have a roll bar ie " 5-8 point" and if your car has a factory head rest in the proper position i dont think you will have a chance of hitting it. the roll bar will not colapse in a roll if properly installed. and the properly adjusted belts will keep you in place ie "tight" you should not be able to move in the seat and it should be basicly uncomforable and you will be safe. ill keep my bar in my 10.74 car.it can get hairy sometimes and if i lose it i want to walk away. my opinion nhra is right its not there to keep you from 100% not getting hurt its keeping you from getting killed.

george
Old 06-23-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by McRat
The IHRA allows you to run up to 11.50 without a bar.
I going to try an put pressure on the NHRA to ease the rollbar requirements on late model cars. If you feel the same way, please write them a letter (email at bottom):

Here is the letter I wrote to the NHRA Technical Staff:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Greetings,

Is time to re-evaluate the safety requirements on newer sportscars?

Back when I started racing (1975), cars that ran 11.99 and quicker were mostly trailer cars. The cars racing back then (Mostly late 60's muscle) had no air-bags, no door supports, no crush zones, etc. These cars are the basis for the current regulations.

Fast forward to 2003. We recently bought a 2002 Corvette Z06. With just tires and a muffler, we are running 11.9x at 1600' DA. Is this car safe? I contend that I'd rather wreck in a 2002 Corvette Hardtop than a 1969 Camaro with a rollbar. The new Corvette Z06 (and other cars), have:

Active Handling - to straighten the car if it tries to go sideways. Not
traction control, it has both.
Built-in Rollbar - The roof has a large dia oblong steel support hoop that is integral to the frame (pic on request).
Airbags - Good for breaking your nose.
Manually and automatically locking seatbelt - You can lock the seatbelt by pulling it out, or it will do so automatically on g-force.
3080lbs - Less momentum at impact.
Killer Anti-lock Brakes - More than 1g can be exerted with minimal force.
Crush zones - absorbs impact.
Auto Fuel Shutoff - fire safety.
Door support bars - to reduce side impact injuries.

The Corvette isn't the only car with such significant safety equipment, many new HiPo cars are similar in design. Much of these factory improvements address the safety concerns that were the reason for the rules to begin with. Some roadracing track days allow the Corvette hardtops and the Viper hardtops to run without the normally required rollbar. And the IHRA (?) allows cars to run up to 11.50 without the bar.

Why should the rules be changed for late model cars? Because few people are going to put a rollbar in a brand-new stock automobile (warranty concerns), and it eliminates them from participating in this sport. I'm not saying that you can't get injured at 11.99 in a late-model car, I'm saying that the existing safety features that comes with them exceeds the current minimum safety requirement of an older car with the correct NHRA safety equipment.

I request that we be allowed to run late model sportscars that are equipped with built-in rollbars (1998+ Corvette Hardtop and Coupe, Hardtop Vipers, Hardtop Ferrari's, etc) up to 11.50 before the requirement kicks in.

Do a test period of one year and evaluate the results. I believe you will find no higher incidence of injury between 1960-70 Rollbar cars in the 11 second bracket and late model "factory rollbar" cars.

Patrick "McRat" McSwain
SCCA Solo2 CSCC #58
Hobby Dragracer - NHRA "Street-Legal" regular at CalSpeedway.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you believe like I do, please write a brief letter to:

techdept@nhra.com
It worked. Thanks to all of you who wrote letters!!!