Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Motor Plates Now Available Through APE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do these have provisions for all the accessories like A/C? In AZ even occasional street cars need A/C.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

Here are a couple of pics on my car:

This is a real nice plate!

Tom
Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

You can see some of the mid plate in the back of the pic:

Tom
Old 10-06-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the midplate cause trouble for big header fitment?

Can you still mount the alternator in the factory location, assuming so how do you space out the crank pulley to match the accessory locations?

Is the midplate of equal fitment/quality to the motorplate? I can weld, but I am not comfortable modifying/fitting.

Thanks, Shawn
Old 10-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Shawn, I answered your questions in the other thread. It wil work for you.

Also Tom's car and mine both have the prototype midplates. Now they are laser cut and much nicer to look at!!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Chris, will the tensioner on the water pump still line up or will some need to be milled off the tensioner bracket to allow the pulley to aline correctly with the crank pulley ?
I would assume .250 + the thickness of the extra water pump gasket would need to be taken off the tensioner bracket correct ? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

TJ
Old 10-06-2004, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FSTR-THANU
Here are a couple of pics on my car:

This is a real nice plate!

Tom
Does the peice of tubing in the pic come with it too, or is that something you added ?

TJ

Last edited by Hawkn01; 10-08-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We currently have a dozen mid-plates done and ready to ship in stock. Pictures will be posted this evening FOR SURE!!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Nick,
I got the plate this morning and the tubing doesn't come with the plate. Is this required to help support the plate ?
Also I asked if the tensioner on the waterpump will need to have some milled off so the belt will line up with the crank ?
I will say the quality of the plate looks top notch. The laser cutting looks very nice. I'm tempted to break out the sander and polishing wheel to give it the polished look.

TJ

Last edited by Hawkn01; 10-08-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1

Can you still mount the alternator in the factory location, assuming so how do you space out the crank pulley to match the accessory locations?

Thanks, Shawn
Shawn, I got the front plate this morning. I was looking at it this evening and noticed that with the altenator there is no opening for the body of it to fit through. The bolt holes are there but no opening for the body of the altenator.
I'm not sure if this was over looked in the design phase or weither the laser cutting shop forgot to cut that area out.
As things stand now it looks like the water pump tensioner bracket and the altenator bracket will need to have .250 milled off each bracket. The plate will need to be cut out for the body of the altenator to fit through also.
Maybe I'm wrong and there is another way to go about it. I don't like the idea of spacing the crank pully out though.
I'm going to try and call them tomorrow(hopefully they will be there on Saturdays) and see what the deal is. I personally think the opening for the body of the altenator was overlooked by the designers or by the shop doing the laser cutting.

TJ

Hopefully Nick or Chris will see this and chime in on the issues.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

So instead of shimming the pulley out, you thing the brackets can just be milled down .250"? What about the water pump, you going to take .250" off of it too, or is there enough "meat" on the WP "pulley" so the belt will ride on it, since there are no "grooves"? Thanks, let us know what they say, and if cutting the hole for the alternator body will weaken the plate. (I hope it is being corrected, I'd hate to mess up that pretty plate with a roughly cut hole for the alternator body). Is alternator relocation a possibility, like the FI kits that relocate it to the passenger side head maybe?

Thanks, let me know what they say, Shawn
Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Im sure they left that off on purpose. When people use motorplates, they mount things all over it! What if you had a blower over there, or maybe some turbo headers in that spot....you wouldn't want the altenator cutout there. With a motorplate like this, you(the customer) can place everything where you want....custom cutout everything, and it will look like it belongs there

Nice part!

Chris
Old 10-09-2004, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=Chris@AP-Engineering]We are now offering prefit aluminum LS1 motor plates for 4th gen F-body's. These plates come with everything you need to install it in your 4th GEN!! The kit comes with the following components:

.250" thick custom precision laser cut aluminum motor plate
(2) Prefit precision laser cut steel mounting brackets
(6) Grade 8 3/8" bolts, washers & nylock nuts

These motor plates are the best on the market and require NO cutting, grinding or fitting on the customers end! Simply take them out of the box, weld on the mounting brackets and you are ready to install your engine. Simple as that!!

Cmarsh93z,
As was stated in Chris's post no cutting grinding or fitting on the customers end is required.
I've never mounted a motor plate before so all of this is new territory for me. I'm gonna try to call today for more info.

TJ
Old 10-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Im sure they left that off on purpose. When people use motorplates, they mount things all over it! What if you had a blower over there, or maybe some turbo headers in that spot....you wouldn't want the altenator cutout there. With a motorplate like this, you(the customer) can place everything where you want....custom cutout everything, and it will look like it belongs there

Nice part!

Chris

Chris,
You are exactly correct. The plates are left blank in the front so people can put their stuff where they want it. The no cutting ment that the plate will bolt right onto the engine and go right into the car with no extra work except welding. You can cut the plate for the alternator if you chose, just use common sense to leave enuff plate to support the engine.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay, here are the pictures of the mid-plate. I was waiting until we put the engine in the shop car so I could take a picture of one against a block.

We have 10 of these in stock today.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nick,
Thanks for the pics!!
Could you possibly get a pic from the side with the midplate attatched. It would really help me refference the turbo location as compared to where the motormount is so I could see if I could squeeze a midplate in my car.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That engine in the pics above is already in the car. If I mounted a mid plate to an engine on a stand and took the pic from the side would that work for you?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

That would be perfect. Just need a reference.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will get the pic up from each side tommorrow.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Well after reveiwing my options I think I'm going to go with a differant pulley set-up. I have the ASP now which is not SFI approved so that needs to be replaced anyway.
Either way the motor plate is a very nice peice. Chris and Nick, thanks for your help guys.

TJ

Quick Reply: LS1 Motor Plates Now Available Through APE!