Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Motor Plates Now Available Through APE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem, thank you!

Post some pics once you get it installed.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

I'm still confused. Where or how do you mount the altenater? No one really answers this question. I understand about the crank pully relocation or relocate the accessories pullys but How does the altenater go on.

TJ asked the question about a hole for the alt. and it really wasn't answered. I don't see how pully relocation would solve this? Is the altenater relocated. When my plate arrives I'll figure it out but it would be nice to have a heads up.
Thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to cut out a spot for the alt to go through
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Motor Plates Now Available Through APE!-relocate1-2-.jpg  
Old 10-12-2004, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BTL FED
You have to cut out a spot for the alt to go through
Thank you. I wonder where i'll get a laser cutter?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer
Thank you. I wonder where i'll get a laser cutter?
I just used a 4 1/2 angle grinder with a cut-off wheel
Old 10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

I was being sarcastic.

Wonder if this will weaken the plate.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

I was being sarcastic.

Wonder if this will weaken the plate.
I would be careful with the angle grinder. I would think setting it up on a mill and milling out the area with a radiused cut for strength would be the best bet. You wouldn't want any sharp angles in the cut, that would create a weak spot that a crack could start from.
Tom I still haven't totally figured it out. My motor is out of the car so I'm still trying to figure this out in my head. To be honest I'm alittle confused too. I'm assuming ATI will have the pulley with the groves for the belt spaced out a 1/4".....I hope. If thats the case the tensioner and altenator brackets will not need to be milled. I've never done this before so I'm a rookie trying to figure this out.

TJ
Old 10-12-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

That plate looks really big, is'nt there a way to tone it down a little, and make all the provisions for ALL accessories?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
That plate looks really big, is'nt there a way to tone it down a little, and make all the provisions for ALL accessories?
I weighed it on some UPS digital scales and it weighed 7.39lbs with the bolts and brackets.

TJ
Old 10-12-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
No offense to some, but lets be realistic. A motor plate/mid-plate combo is NOT a street car part. If you actually NEED a motor plate, being able to simply bolt on all your accessories is not a concern.

fitting a plate to your application is a custom job. Getting it to bolt to the motor is the easy part done by the manufacturer, but making it work for your setup is your job.

I'm waiting for the post, "I want a motor plate, but i wanna keep my AC and power steering. Who's got one that bolts on without cutting anything and comes with detailed instructions?"

/soap box off

to add some useful content, ATI will make you anything you want. I had them cut me a custom hub to put my HTD dry sump drive where i wanted it, and space the front pulley out 3/8" for my plate. You'll be looking at close to $300 for a custom hub, and 4 to 6 weeks lead. That was back in march, so they may have cleared out some jobs now that racing season is near it's end.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2khawk
No offense to some, but lets be realistic. A motor plate/mid-plate combo is NOT a street car part. If you actually NEED a motor plate, being able to simply bolt on all your accessories is not a concern.

fitting a plate to your application is a custom job. Getting it to bolt to the motor is the easy part done by the manufacturer, but making it work for your setup is your job.

I'm waiting for the post, "I want a motor plate, but i wanna keep my AC and power steering. Who's got one that bolts on without cutting anything and comes with detailed instructions?"

/soap box off

to add some useful content, ATI will make you anything you want. I had them cut me a custom hub to put my HTD dry sump drive where i wanted it, and space the front pulley out 3/8" for my plate. You'll be looking at close to $300 for a custom hub, and 4 to 6 weeks lead. That was back in march, so they may have cleared out some jobs now that racing season is near it's end.

Harlen thanks for the info. I'm debating now weither or not to do this if the lead time is still 4-6 weeks. I might just stick with my solid torque strap for now. And attemp this over the winter. I have to much going on right now to have to worry with this. Crunch time is coming to fast for the Thunder race. I hope I can have what I got going on now done in time as it is. I don't need the extra stress if you know what I mean.

TJ

P.S. Man you sure are flyin now !
Old 10-12-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by y2khawk

/soap box off

All I have is an altenater. It would have been nice to have the hole for the altenater laser cut and then shipped is all I am saying. It would have been a cleaner install. Hell I would have paid extra for it. I never thought to ask. We are not all as smart as some I guess.

Thanks for the pully info
Old 10-12-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

I have to agree with Tom on this. It would have been nice to have that option.

TJ
Old 10-12-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

All I have is an altenater. It would have been nice to have the hole for the altenater laser cut and then shipped is all I am saying. It would have been a cleaner install. Hell I would have paid extra for it. I never thought to ask. We are not all as smart as some I guess.

Thanks for the pully info
He he, damnit Tom you just need to move down here by me brother!!! BTW , I'll buy that custom torque strap set up of yours from ya.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KECHME
He he, damnit Tom you just need to move down here by me brother!!! BTW , I'll buy that custom torque strap set up of yours from ya.
lol Sean, You got that right. You can have the custom torque strap brother. It works great. It's a nice piece.

Quick Reply: LS1 Motor Plates Now Available Through APE!