Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am very interested Also
Old 10-23-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RUQWIKR
How did you black it out like stock where the urethane goes (so you don't see it)? Thanks.
You can use either an appropriate paint that's applied from the inside.You can find a talented tinter that can apply limmo tint from the inside in the pattern of the original OEM blackout. You do not want to apply tint to the area the adhesive goes to. That's also why you want the tinted unit that Shields sells.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SO how much was your back glass anyways I dont see any pricing on that site
Old 10-23-2004, 05:38 PM

At the time (5 years ago) it was appx' $320. I had mine hardcoated, and tinted. You will have to trim to fit it. It's really made for scratch built race cars that vaguely resemble the factory cars. I never did get mine for drag racing. I am a road racer, and that's where my interest lies. It was an experiment that went well. I was looking for a very high quality piece, and it is. I have the OEM glass in a box with the defroster attached.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sawedoff
At the time (5 years ago) it was appx' $320. I had mine hardcoated, and tinted. You will have to trim to fit it. It's really made for scratch built race cars that vaguely resemble the factory cars. I never did get mine for drag racing. I am a road racer, and that's where my interest lies. It was an experiment that went well. I was looking for a very high quality piece, and it is. I have the OEM glass in a box with the defroster attached.
when you installed the rear hatch, did you broke your OEM ?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by oOoLy
when you installed the rear hatch, did you broke your OEM ?
No, my original OEM glass was cut out very carefully. That glass is very expensive from a GM dealer. It's safely stored away. I went through a bunch of glass installers before I found one that knew what he was doing and would be cool with my idea, and not sound like a puppet for DOT regulations. I went with a small independent installer.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sawedoff
No, my original OEM glass was cut out very carefully. That glass is very expensive from a GM dealer. It's safely stored away. I went through a bunch of glass installers before I found one that knew what he was doing and would be cool with my idea, and not sound like a puppet for DOT regulations. I went with a small independent installer.
How about the front OEM glass ? if I want to install the front, should I broke my OEM glass?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:03 PM

Don't do the front unless you have a race car only. The front windshield will deteriorate quickly on a daily driven car from everything that would hit it. You can cut the OEM front out just like you would the rear though.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

they dont allow the lexan windows in some classes do they?