Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Street Racing Tire that'll also perform at strip.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with about 20#s of air and getting em a little warm my nitto 555s hook like a som biach
Old 11-07-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverbeast
Well i can tell you that the new mickey does not like wet roads at all. I was coming home from the track and got caught in the rain, with 4 people in the car. We were doing about 50 mph in a 65 when all of a sudden ,for no reason at all the car broke dead sideways and my lights were shining on the van beside me!. The van went off in the grass and was all over the road and got it back under control. I had my wife and the wives of 2 friends of mine with me. They were in front of us, on nittos and had no problems. We talked to the people in the van... they stopped at the same store to catch our breath. They stopped to get some beer, it shook them up pretty good. So do not ride them in the rain!!!

You hit a big puddle of water or what??? You were driving along and all of a sudden "for no reason at all" your car was 90 degrees in the wrong direction?
I find that hard to believe however I can belive that hydroplaning can happen to any tire.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

i can beleive it. ive been caught in the rain with half worn bfgs and anything over 30-35mph and the rearend wanted to come around. i could feel the rear floating side to side. my nitto 315's have been great in the rain though and have made it 16k miles. im glad my new ones showed up today though.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kev93z
i can beleive it. ive been caught in the rain with half worn bfgs and anything over 30-35mph and the rearend wanted to come around. i could feel the rear floating side to side. my nitto 315's have been great in the rain though and have made it 16k miles. im glad my new ones showed up today though.
That is why I bought Nittos - I'd heard those stories. However, a word of warning ... cold Nittos and/or cold roads to not mix. I took my car out for a little ride before pulling it down to ring the engine, and got sideways in 4th when it came up on the cam. Second was useless and third wouldn't hold half throttle. I went low 12s on these things last year, so I was really surprised at this behavior. After 5 miles or so it got better so I could have a bit of fun. Temp was in the upper 40s.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not a hydroplane issue I had the same thing happen in 5th gear at under 2 thousand rpm on a on ramp.Happened so fast I thought I was on ice,this is no **** as we are used to driving in slippery conditions in the great white north. The on ramp
was inclined with no puddles , really took me by surprise. I got on the freeway and was
able to duplicate the senario on flat ground so it wasn't a contaminated spot.
These ****** are lethal when wet!
Old 11-13-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z-ya
It's not a hydroplane issue I had the same thing happen in 5th gear at under 2 thousand rpm on a on ramp.Happened so fast I thought I was on ice,this is no **** as we are used to driving in slippery conditions in the great white north. The on ramp
was inclined with no puddles , really took me by surprise. I got on the freeway and was
able to duplicate the senario on flat ground so it wasn't a contaminated spot.
These ****** are lethal when wet!

Very good info guys. It looks like im going to have to be real careful when driving in the rain. I have a spool also and that cant help the wet traction any either. Is this situation avoidable at all???
Old 11-13-2004, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

some roads are just slick and with a little bit of water on them they become almost like ice.
ive had the flip around thing happen to me on bald *** nittos(no tread at all) after the track got rained out and i didnt want to leave without my payout.
you have a spool on a street car? i DEFINATELY would not drive that in the rain regardless of what tires you have.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigPlanTransAm
some roads are just slick and with a little bit of water on them they become almost like ice.
ive had the flip around thing happen to me on bald *** nittos(no tread at all) after the track got rained out and i didnt want to leave without my payout.
you have a spool on a street car? i DEFINATELY would not drive that in the rain regardless of what tires you have.

hahaha well, I drive it every day, sometimes in the rain, and with no problems. I use to think they were THAT bad but then a few of my freinds streeted them every day. I went for a ride in their cars and realized that they are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

These high spring load eaton posi's we use in the 12 bolts are just as bad as a spool in the wet.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw a mustang run 9.7@148mph on a set of 275/60/15 MT ET street radials. (3 speed auto tranny) on a marginal hooking track. low 1.4 sixty foot.

He drove to the track, dropped the tire pressure, blasted off 9's at almost 150mph aired them back up and went home.

I was on 28x9 inch slicks and could only muster a 1.59 that day. (Track wasn't hooking well for me)
Old 11-22-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 15X10 draglites wrapped in the Micky Thompson Drag radials and the way i hook with these things im never going to top useing them!! I recommend them!

Quick Reply: Best Street Racing Tire that'll also perform at strip.