Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very scary day at the track.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004 | 05:40 PM
STF Veteran

Default Very scary day at the track.

Well, I got to run the 1/4 this afternoon. The humidity was a little high but the temp was 45-50*. I managed a 12.7 @ 107 mph. I'm happy with the time but disappointed with the trap speed. I power shifted all three times that I got to run without missing a single gear on the stock shifter.

I did encounter a scary and wierd problem. On my second run when I passed through the lights at the end of the track I push in the clutch and my car starts screaming bouncing off the rev limiter! I had to turn the key off to and pull off into the grass. I checked the linkage and it seemed fine. I unhooked the cruise control cable thinking that was it. The idle dropped down to about 3500 and I nursed it back to the parking area. Well I let the car cool down and took it for another trip down the strip. The same thing happened again!!!!. I had to call it a day after that.
The thing that I don't understand about the throttle sticking is that when I put it in gear it didn't pull like it was floored. If I pushed the clutch in it was wide open again. Now, it gets even more wierd. I left it in second gear while I was going back to the parking area. Well when I got ready to back in I pushed the clutch in and it idled fine! What the hell is going on?!?!?! I went ahead and left and putted home. Everything worked like a charm. I don't understand what is going on. I wonder if it has something to do with power shifting?

I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow and try to explain to them what is going on. Minus the drag strip part.
Old 12-19-2004 | 05:51 PM
Administrator

It has nothing to do with powershifting...and I don't recommend that on the stock shifter Brandon. It's just not worth it. You'll find out when you miss 3rd. It's not pretty.

My first thought was that the gas pedal got stuck on the carpet. That's happened on many Cobras. We've actually cut a part of the carpet off to eliminate the problem. There have been reports of the pedal getting stuck on the floor mat at WOT too.

I don't think that's the problem though based on your description. I'm not sure what the deal is.

I would pull off your CAI and inspect the TB. Grab the cam and open the TB and check to see if it's somehow obstructed. You already check the linkage. I'm at a loss other than that. Sorry.

Nice ET though!

BTW...do yourself a favor and put the stock intake back on before you take it to the dealer.
Old 12-19-2004 | 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the nice time. Did you powershift 1-2? Are you on stock tires?
I only ask b/c a 1-2 powershift on stock rubber would seem too dangerous to try.

Btw, I hope you get everything squared away with the clutch/throttle issues.
Old 12-19-2004 | 06:02 PM
STF Veteran

Yes, I power shifted every shift. I might have spun a little but not much at all.
Old 12-19-2004 | 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock rubber?
Old 12-19-2004 | 06:11 PM
STF Veteran

Yes stock rubber. The car is only 4 weeks old.