Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do for Wolfe 6pt base plates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do for Wolfe 6pt base plates?

I just bought a Wolfe 6 pt bolt in cage from a guy off the boards and I have everything except the base plates for under the car for the main hoop and rear bars. What should I do? Can I go ahead and do the install and make some plates later since I don't plan on hitting the track soon right now.

If I make my own base plates does anyone have some dimensions/material I should use?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Restricted User

6"x6" MS, not sure on thickness, but I think it is a 1/4" or 1/8". Not sure about putting the bars in now, unless you are intending to something different for plates....My plates are welded to the inside floor, and the bars welded to them, so kind of necessary to have the plates before install, or mine is just jacked the hell up? Looking at from the tie in, having the plates under the car with a tube cut thru the floor and welded to the plate seems to me that it would pop right out in event there was a wreck WHEREAS having the plates welded to the floor, and the bars to the plates, it would take way more to punch a 6x6 plate thru the floor. I have seen the bars cut thru the floor and welded to the SFC, or other tie ins under the car, like bck halfed etc...but all the plate mounted have the plates inside. On my imagestation link (I know, you have to register to view) I have several shots of how I molded the plates for the rear mount and main hoop.

Good luck.

Charlie
Old 12-20-2004, 12:41 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just call wolfe and see if they will sell you the plates, they are decent people to deal with and I dont see why they wouldnt sell them to you. The rear plates are bent for the wheelwells, not impossible to make but having the right plates makes it a 3 hour job..

NHRA rulebook gives the min spec on the plates/bolts:

Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheel tubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch (15.2 cm) x 6-inch (15.2 cm) x .125-inch (3.2 mm) steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) bolts and nuts
Old 12-20-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAT3
6"x6" MS, not sure on thickness, but I think it is a 1/4" or 1/8". Not sure about putting the bars in now, unless you are intending to something different for plates....My plates are welded to the inside floor, and the bars welded to them, so kind of necessary to have the plates before install, or mine is just jacked the hell up? Looking at from the tie in, having the plates under the car with a tube cut thru the floor and welded to the plate seems to me that it would pop right out in event there was a wreck WHEREAS having the plates welded to the floor, and the bars to the plates, it would take way more to punch a 6x6 plate thru the floor. I have seen the bars cut thru the floor and welded to the SFC, or other tie ins under the car, like bck halfed etc...but all the plate mounted have the plates inside. On my imagestation link (I know, you have to register to view) I have several shots of how I molded the plates for the rear mount and main hoop.

Good luck.

Charlie
Being a bolt in cage you have a plate that the bar is welded to that goes on the top of the floor. Then you have an under car plate that adds strength.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
I would just call wolfe and see if they will sell you the plates, they are decent people to deal with and I dont see why they wouldnt sell them to you. The rear plates are bent for the wheelwells, not impossible to make but having the right plates makes it a 3 hour job..

NHRA rulebook gives the min spec on the plates/bolts:

Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheel tubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch (15.2 cm) x 6-inch (15.2 cm) x .125-inch (3.2 mm) steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) bolts and nuts
ah crap, the rear bar plates are bent? well that snuffs out my idea of going to the machine shop tomorrow and just having them cut me some plates
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

unless with MS of that thickness I could do some bending to it of my own
Old 12-20-2004, 08:19 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its just one bend in each of the rear bars that go on the wheelwell, if you have the bar that goes through the speaker holes. You will see how thay need to be when you drill the holes.