Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I doing a burnout correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 02:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Am I doing a burnout correctly?

Just wondering if Im doing it correctly because I read on here the other day that doing it wrong can cause problems or put extra wear on the drivetrain.

Anyhow, this is how I do it:

Go around the water box so that I dont get the front tires wet, then back up until the back tires are in the water box, put it in 2nd gear and give it a quick spin to clean them off and to get them wet, scoot up, apply my brake, flip the line lock on, slowly start spinning the tires until I know theyre moving, wait till I see white smoke, then lighten up on the throttle and release the line lock, and let the tires bite and scoot up to the line.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good to me...

I prefer to snap them loose personally. I roll thru the water...spin the back tires to get them wet...creep up. apply linelock. put in 2nd gear. rev to 6k pop clutch and let them spin
Old 12-22-2004, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

What do you mean you prefer to snap them loose?
Old 12-22-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Your's is an Auto, correct? Never start a burnout in secoind gear, the transmission slips the clutches more in that gear than first. Always start off in first and get your rpms to your needed speed, then shift into second to get the tires spinning faster.

What he means by 'snap the tires loose' is dump the clutch on a manual, you'll shock the tires harder and get them to spin easier.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club NA

Yes, it's a 200-4R. Is it bad for the clutches to slip more? I'll try it the way you said next time, thanks.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

proper burnout

The first one, not the second one
Old 12-22-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

We roll thru stopping right at the front edge of the water. Put it in 3rd. Turn on the linelock. Stab the gas and as soon as the tires spin turn off the linelock and roll out blazin.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:43 PM
8 Second Club

FYI... kinda a bad idea to spin the tires in the water box.. what happens is the water gets on the tires yes, but it also gets all over the wheel wells.. so when you go up and launch the car, that water might drip down onto the tires or on the track as your making your pass and can cause problems. I would just roll through the water and then once your out.. stop and start your burnout
Old 12-22-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I think some of you are talking full slicks and some talking drag radials, or d.o.t. slicks. Different procedure for each. Also, w/stock 10 bolts, many a stock axle has snapped or twisted that way..... WJ
Old 12-22-2004, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Im running 26x10x15 ET Drags, Strange 12 bolt w/a 4.10 gear & super strength posi, and fully built 200-4R tranny.

TwnTrboCE, is your car an auto or manual? You describe how you do your burnout a lot like how pro dragsters do it.

Outlaw, I only spin probably 2 to 3 complete turns. Thats just a guess because I do it for probably a second to clean and get them wet. But I understand what youre saying and it makes total sense, and if indeed it does drip onto the tires or the track, do you think a few drops will make a difference in traction?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:35 PM
8 Second Club

If the track is taking care of the water box as they should be.. if you drive around or through the box there should be enough water laid out that you get about a full revolution of water on your tires by just rolling through the water box from the back of the box to the front. The track is “supposed” to take care of this for the racers and have enough water out to cover a full rotation of a 33 inch tall tire. So I think you should be ok by going through the box with the tires you are using.

You may not see the small amount of water that might drop as being a problem, BUT if your learning how to do a burnout, might as well learn to do it right and then you will be set, trying to relearn something as you come up with more power can be hard. Also keep in mind, you are not the only one on the track, water may come off your car and be a hazard to the next racer whom it might really affect.

Just something to think about….
Old 12-22-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Im running 26x10x15 ET Drags, Strange 12 bolt w/a 4.10 gear & super strength posi, and fully built 200-4R tranny.

TwnTrboCE, is your car an auto or manual? You describe how you do your burnout a lot like how pro dragsters do it.

Outlaw, I only spin probably 2 to 3 complete turns. Thats just a guess because I do it for probably a second to clean and get them wet. But I understand what youre saying and it makes total sense, and if indeed it does drip onto the tires or the track, do you think a few drops will make a difference in traction?
Both the CE and Formula have rev man TH400. We were told it is actually easier on the trannies that way. Something to do with no load and rpm during the shift. Plus it brings the wheel speed up real quick.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put my A4 in D and use the line lock to do a burnout....is that safe??
Old 12-23-2004, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Your's is an Auto, correct? Never start a burnout in secoind gear, the transmission slips the clutches more in that gear than first. Always start off in first and get your rpms to your needed speed, then shift into second to get the tires spinning faster.

What he means by 'snap the tires loose' is dump the clutch on a manual, you'll shock the tires harder and get them to spin easier.
Unless you have a manual vavle body GM transmisions don't take in the gears your in. If your in 2nd the trans will still take off in 1st and then shift unlike Ford's which will take off in whatever gear you select
Old 12-23-2004, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
Unless you have a manual vavle body GM transmisions don't take in the gears your in. If your in 2nd the trans will still take off in 1st and then shift unlike Ford's which will take off in whatever gear you select
That is incorrect, especially for '00 (IIRC) - '02 F-Bodies, it is a fact! My 2001 Camaro SS with a factory stock 4L60E will start off in second if I place the selctor in that gear position. I have done this with my trans since 2001 and no problems. Also, if you select 1st and do not move it up, you'll bang the limiter due to no up shift. Same thing if you place it in 2nd. Either you start it in 1st gear or 3rd gear, using 2nd will start off in 2nd. GM designed this feature in for vehicle that would be used in snow area, it allows the vehicle to apply less torque on the wheels for icy condition. Without fear of spinning the tires as easily as starting off in 1st gear.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

They only take off in second with the switch selected or am I mistaken.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:08 AM
9 Second Club NA

I run a 200-4R, its a non-computer controlled tranny out of a '85 Grand National. I believe it starts out in 2nd because I dont ever recall it shifting. But if its indeed bad for it because its slips the clutches more, then I'll start out in 1st and shift it to 2nd.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:19 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I roll threw the water,pull to dry ground and put the car in 1st (A4) load the LL.I then hit the tires hard and shift into 2nd and stand on it up to about 6000 until I see gray smoke and the tach rpm drops,then I let the buttom go and pull threw to the line.

Quick Reply: Am I doing a burnout correctly?