Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So where do we stand against the Blue Oval Fox body boys?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004 | 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question So where do we stand against the Blue Oval Fox body boys?

I was poking around in the Forced Induction section and seen the new "grudge" threads. Now don`t get me wrong here, I think it`s great and would love nothing more than to see a Gen.III/LS1/LS6/LS2 etc.(even an LT1 for that matter) motor in the 7`s in a stock suspended F-body or C5/6! I have met and talked to Harlan and the Stenod boys on several occasions and they are really good guys. I`ve also done business with Hardcore and APE and again, cool people and with the talent each of these groups possess, god knows what they can accomplish and I wish the best of luck to all of them.

Now, with all that said, assuming we (the Gen.III nation, if you will) do see a car run in the 7`s, where does that put us in comparison with our REAL rival? That`s right, the `ol Mustang. Again, I love seeing our cars go quicker and faster every season, and I really get a kick out of following these communal battles for LS1 supremacy, but what I`d really like to see is some of our heavy hitters going up against the Ford boys.... AND TAKING THEM DOWN!!! Now, I will admit a degree of ignorance here, and to be honest, I really don`t know what true "class" that cars like Harlan`s, Ronnie`s and the other really fast ls1 cars would fall in, and for all I know, they may blur the lines of several classes making it somewhat impossible to actually place them in a category. And on that same note, I don`t know what kind of ET`s that the similarly equipped Mustangs run. I do read snip-its about this turbo Mustang breaking this record and this ProCharged Mustang breaking that record, blah, blah, blah. Now, I am fully aware that in the real world, it`s just not fair to compare a car backed by BIG $$$ sponsorship to a car that is privately funded, you just can`t. But just as we have our shade tree mechanic heroes in the Gen.III world, they must have theirs. Especially when it seems you can make a 5.0/4.6 fast for a lot less money and have three times the amount of after market support than we do. (For now any way.) And yes, I know they have weight, or lack there of, on there side. But I guess what I`m really wondering, if for no other reason than personal knowledge, is how do we stack up against the Y2K Hawks, Black Mambas and Silver Bullets of the Blue Oval world?
Because for me, at the end of the race day, just like in NASCAR, SCCA Trans Am, NHRA/IHRA Sportsman, Stock, etc.,etc., it really is about Henry Ford vs. The General.

Happy New Year,
Eric

Last edited by 02 Silver Z; 01-01-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-31-2004 | 08:50 PM
Banned

Well you have to understand that ls1 aftermarket parts have only been available for about 7 going on 8 years now. mustangs have a good decade on us at the bare minimum so race parts are cheaper and they've had a lot more time to work out bugs and such. if you're worrying about a true drag radial style car or a slick car i cant comment as well as if you're talking about a 10.5 inch car. FWIW an LT1 took the cake at the drag radial shootout in fl in the last issue of car craft or was it hot rod. Anyway i'd actually believe a fully dragged fox body to do better in getting down to low 7's in 5.0 trim and such seeing as how there is so much more of an aftermarket following.

Don't flame me or get me wrong though i still would drive an ls1 anyday. And I don't know all the classes for dragging, I'm just a guy who loves to go to the track. I don't read every post on this message board and have only run into harlan on this site a few times. So I guess im more or less giving my opinion because it takes a whole lot of power and work to get in the 7's or such as you're suggesting and the ls based blocks i haven't seen there yet. f-bods yes but with merlin bb and such.

Hope this helps.

Nate

Now before my beer gets warm.
Old 01-01-2005 | 08:05 AM
9 Second Club

I would like to know as well. here is my one experience. i went to a streetcar shootout here. Plenty of stangs and a few f-bodys. Just motor...f-bodys ruled. Motor and spray was about even though I don't know how much each sprayed. Forced Induction, I won the class but there were only a few FI stangs there....1 turbo and like 5 s/c stangs. The outcome is about what I read when talking about real street cars...a/c...radio...etc. As far as streetable racecars, I haven't seen anything to tell me where we are at. Maybe others can chime in on their experiences.
Old 01-01-2005 | 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Well...in NMRA and FFW the top dog stangs are still light years ahead. They also have MONEY in thier race series. We will never catch up until that happens.

Now as to how some of the cars like Lees badass Futral car would stack up in a specific class...thats a tougher question. I really have no clue but would like to hear opinion.
Old 01-01-2005 | 11:27 PM
Chevy High Performance Magazine

My thoughts - Look at Rick Head from Innovative Turbo in his Twin Turbo 3rd Gen, the one who won the FL Radial Shootout, along with the Outlaw Radial Shootout.

Also you can't discount radial racer Jim Powski with his 101mm packing 4th gen, which has gone 8.0's at 180 mph - lifting!

Personally, I think the bodies are better on the big end, but just as the others have said - the 5.0L market has a stronger backing, especially in the grassroots street legal series. Those series have pushed technology to the next level, especially with the strict rules the racers have to work around.

Org's like NSCA and PRO are bringing in more Bow Tie racers, and I feel it's just a matter of time.
Old 01-02-2005 | 03:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Long live the blue oval.
Old 01-02-2005 | 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 01-02-2005 | 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
Long live the blue oval.
LOL! I knew we would have one of those!
Old 01-12-2005 | 07:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02 Silver Z
LOL! I knew we would have one of those!
Fastest stock suspended fox ran something like a 7.7x.