Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel cell, what are the advantanges??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel cell, what are the advantanges??

I've been looking into this a little but need to know some real benifits to this.

First of all, where are people locating these, middle of truck, spare tire well, anyware else?

Second, what are the advantages? I'm sure wieght, but a stock tank wieght with 5 gal, and a fuel cell with 5 gal. Is there a lot of wieght diff?

Better/cheaper Fuel pumps?

Will NHRA let you run with one in the car/trunk on our cars?

thanks for the info, any pics and comments welcome.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Teching In

safety mostly...fuel cell dont leak like tanks do when they are ruptured. and they come in a variety of sizes. one of the biggest mistakes amature drag racers make is showing up at the track with just about a quarter tank for gas, thinking they are saving weight. actually because the fuel tanks mostly behind the rear axle a full tank offers ballast and a mechanical advantage helping the rear tires grip
Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

The cell has to isolated from the driver's compartment with metal of .024., which means that a fuel cell in a Fbody would have to be enclosed in a fabricated compartment in the rear. major pain.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
The cell has to isolated from the driver's compartment with metal of .024., which means that a fuel cell in a Fbody would have to be enclosed in a fabricated compartment in the rear. major pain.
It's not that bad really,pics attached.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkn01
It's not that bad really,pics attached.
For your own safety, you need to add a ground strap and get rid of the carpet. Your stuff looks really nice, but it's a little dangerous.

Daren
Old 01-07-2005, 05:27 PM
8 Second Club

Here are some pictures of mine.. also the feed supply from a cell is much greater and a better source being at the bottom of the tank then any factory setup.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
For your own safety, you need to add a ground strap and get rid of the carpet. Your stuff looks really nice, but it's a little dangerous.

Daren
Darren, pics were taken before it was finished, ground strap is installed. Outlaw has the killer set-up for sure and it is the way it should be done. What I have works too, it's just a poor mans way of doing it.

TJ
Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

I think that Wolfe Race Craft makes a mail order rear bulk head that's NHRA legal for anyone who is intrested in a cell and doesn't want to have to make a barrier.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I think that Wolfe Race Craft makes a mail order rear bulk head that's NHRA legal for anyone who is intrested in a cell and doesn't want to have to make a barrier.
They sell them to fit with or without the rear covers for $110
Old 01-07-2005, 06:38 PM
8 Second Club

Yes Wolfe has a nice setup.. anything that will allow you to keep the JL audio Stealth box still is ok in my book!

Got to have the beatz in the race car
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkn01
Darren, pics were taken before it was finished, ground strap is installed. Outlaw has the killer set-up for sure and it is the way it should be done. What I have works too, it's just a poor mans way of doing it.

TJ
There is nothing wrong with your set-up. It is very similar to what I have in both of my cars. The main thing that I saw wrong in the picture was the lack of a ground strap. Static is a very real concern when you are filling your fuel cell. For obvious reasons, I don't think that carpet has any place back their either.

Daren