Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried out any of the new Hal springs that QA1 offers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you guys recommend running the Hal R's on the street? Not trying to hijack the thread but I have been wanting to run Hals on the street with stock springs because I heard the Hal springs bottom out on the street.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks MadMan!

Brad
Old 01-18-2005, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

"Would you guys recommend running the Hal R's on the street? Not trying to hijack the thread but I have been wanting to run Hals on the street with stock springs because I heard the Hal springs bottom out on the street."

I would like to know too ???
Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt run the "R" series on the street for everyday driving. The shocks wear out quicker than a Bilstein etc.

225-343-9029
Old 01-18-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the 275 spring and the r shocks on the front. I put the shocks at the same postion as the stock shocks were(the ride hight adjustment) and the car was very low in the front. I had to adjust it about 3/4 up on the shock to get it back to stock height which is still lower than it was because I had removed ac, air, egr, battery to the rear, front bumper, and front sway bar and it was already pretty high in the front. So I figure when a get a new k member and a arms it will be about right on the shock.
the car lauched great it pulled the front up about 4-5 inches and I had a 1.63 60 ft and it ran 7.51 at 91.xx.
good luck
Old 01-18-2005, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

So do you recommend the Hal F's on the street? It isn't really a daily driver, but I drive it probably 1 time a week on the and most every weekend. I want a good drag shock for the strip and still be decent on the street (no bouncing)
Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would put the "R" on but plan ongetting them rebuilt once a year.

225-343-9029
Old 01-18-2005, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

do stock shocks work well on the strip?

Thanks Madman
Old 01-18-2005, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
I wouldnt run the "R" series on the street for everyday driving. The shocks wear out quicker than a Bilstein etc.
What's the easiest way to tell it's time for a rebuild (other than sending them into QA1 to put on their shock dyno). I've run mine for a good year and our streets are not so friendly around here. The shocks still feel good and seem to perform the same. I imagine the compression will start to feel soft when it's time for a rebuild?

Andrew
Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my R series shocks for over a year now, I believe I got them last Christmas. Since then, my car hasnt been driven on the street too much, actually hardly ever. I never had a problem with them on the street. I usually set them at 6 or so. I'm still running all stock springs till this day. So to answer the question about running the R series on the street, well I didnt see any problem, but leave it to the experts, Im sure it will have extra wear on them because they arent intended for street use. So expect to rebuild them more often than if they were used only for the track.

brandonppr, I would of guessed that it would of been lower if you set it at the same position on the shock because the 275 lb. springs are way softer than the stock spring. Why did you get the 275 lb. springs? I ask those who chose these springs their reason behind them to get a feel on what I should get.

MADMAN, since weight is a factor in determining the rate, here is my list off the top of my head that Ive removed from the front end.

front bumper support
ac condensor, compressor, lines, bracket, etc.
EGR
AIR
washer fluid resevoir, etc.
power steering
removed ABS block/bracket & installed Billingsley ABS delete block
cruise control
wiper motor, arms, blades, etc.
heat shielding
fender wells
air dam and other misc. plastic pieces
front swaybar and brackets
BMR k-member, upper and lower a-arms
MADMAN manual steering rack
Hawker battery
Bogarts

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I plan on doing a lightweight hood soon. I've done other weight reduction mods, but those are the ones that I can think of that are in front of the windshield.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well it might be a little late for me because the springs arrived today. 275 lb. QA1 springs. I hope they work for me.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

hey man..........

sorry, just getting back to this thread. anyway, i chose the 275 spring after reading the intense post made by Madman a couple months ago that gave full detail as to the use and benefits of each spring. my car is going to be making some real power, so i wanted to get the weight transfer going as quickly as possible towards the rear so i could try to maximize traction. i am getting the dbl. adj. rears so i can fine tune the comp. and rebound as needed. i knew exactly nothing before reading Madman's post, but learned enough to know what i needed for the intended use of my car to make the right decision. the 275's may or may not work for me though, due to having a beefy iron Dart sbc and a pair of turbo's that will be residing in the bay as well as some other items needed to do the job right. on the plus side, or minus you could say, i've done and will do a lot of the same things you've done as far as weight reduction, and then some.

i have done most of the following already- c/m k-member, a-arms, c/f hood, no front sway bar, no ac/heat, no abs or battery, and Bogarts, light weight brakes, as well as some misc. other stuff. the only difference is i went out of my way to put power steering back in the car since it already had a Flaming River unit in it. but i didn't like it for the minimal weight savings.

hope that answers your question.
Dave
Old 01-20-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Dragaholic]

brandonppr, I would of guessed that it would of been lower if you set it at the same position on the shock because the 275 lb. springs are way softer than the stock spring. Why did you get the 275 lb. springs? I ask those who chose these springs their reason behind them to get a feel on what I should get.

QUOTE]

I plan on more weight redution from the front of the car just thought I would go ahead and get the 275 now. and the car is trailered everywhere so street is not an issue. I figured the 275 would give me a faster weight transfer also
Old 01-20-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

HardtopSS if youd like to catch up with us sometime, Wayne has the Rs up front and drives it on the street. Not very much only good weather etc, but they drive fine. Long term beat em up we dont know about yet.

I get a good price on the shocks, and Brian found a place that rebuilds them relatively cheaply