Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished up the wheelwells for the 28x10.5x15W tires...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
I don't know man, sounds like you're assuming that .75" growth will be equal front to back during the whole run. Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong but during hard acceleration with a wrinkle wall tire most of the growth would be towards the front of the tire (think about how the tire looks during launch) maybe growth during launch is the wrong word but the front part of the tire will be forced foward. And during decceleration the back of the tire would project back more than the front. The most "equal" growth would be duing the middle of the run.
I have a Trans Am also and with those same tires they rubbed "ALOT" front and back. I'm just sayin' cause I saw what it did to my outer fenders and how much rubber it took off those tires on just one single run.
Just be carefull Fireball, I've seen you drive.

several T/As have run the 28x10.5 regular which is also 28.1" I've had 28" hoosiers on before which didn't rub...but I'll probably take it easy the first few runs

how fast did you push them? Remember, I'm only going to be going a measly 130ish mph which don't grow as far as >>130
Old 02-16-2005, 11:31 AM
9 Second Club

On my NA pass I got it up to 122mph (Nitrous motor).
Broke my driveshaft on the nitrous attempt, haven't been back to the track yet.
I was talking about this with a buddy and he said those 15w's, since they are so wide, grow alot. He also said that you get alot of expansion just doing the burnout. When I get my car back with the repairs I'm going to just hose down a small spot on the street in front of my house and do a burnout like I would at the track and check for rubbing.
I'm sure my neighbors won't mind. hehe.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

The 28x10.5w did not rub the front of my quarter but did rub a hole in the bumper cover in the back. If that part is trimmed then there shoule be no problem.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks for the info
Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 AM
9 Second Club

I finally got the 15w's mounted after modifying the outer wheelwells. Man are those tires big.
Fireball, what offset are your rims?
I think mine are 7.5 but I bought them used so I might have to measure to be sure.
The wheels fit pretty good except they are REAL close at the inner front so I might have to modify them the way you did.
Is there an offset for those Draglites available that I wouldn't have to do that? The 15w's didn't rub for me with the spacers but I'd rather not run the spacers.
I definately don't want to have to go back to the body shop AGAIN and I'm not that comfortable with metal work.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the 7.5s. I'd rather keep them tucked in personally. But the inner front is a really tight place and short of cutting/rewelding it...not much choice there as I saw it

Also, they also didn't rub at all when they grew. took them to 130 mph sunday
Old 03-16-2005, 08:30 AM
9 Second Club

That's awesome. 130mph, great work.
I'd rather have it tucked in also but I'll compromise for the easy fix.
My wheels stick out already.
Any safety problems with having them stick out another inch or so that you can think of?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

only thing that worries me is the center of the tread grows the most. moving the tire outward some moves the growth area closer to the 1/4 panel and rear cover areas. Tucking the wheels in moves that inside the wheelwell...
Old 03-16-2005, 12:47 PM
9 Second Club

Good point. Now where's that plasma cutter?.............