Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $15 race seat bracket (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The $15 race seat bracket (pics)

I thought you all might like to see my seat bracket for my plastic race seat. The brackets weigh 1.25 lbs a piece. The seat with the cover and brackets weighs 16.5 lbs. I made it using garage door hardware and 6" L brackets. Altogether it was $15 The brackets mounts to the stock mounting holes with the stock bolts. I was able to use many of the hole that were already in the brackets but did have to drill a couple. After it was all bolted together I welded the L's to the garage door hardware. This is the second one of these I have made. The last one held up very well but was too tall for me, so I shortened the L's on the new one.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:59 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont take this the wrong way but those are JUNK...
Plastic seats went out in the 80's
Old 02-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Hope you are not relying on those to hold your seat down in a crash. Can I take out some life insurance on you?
Old 02-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll sell ya a policy on him. Term Life with a "gonna go through the windshield" rider.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:59 PM
9 Second Club

but what do you guys think of the brackets themselves? i think that if they were used on my Kirkey's with a nut and bolt, and large diameter washers they would hold pretty well looking at them with the welds. i don't know what the material of the brackets are made of, but i'm not going to knock his creativeness. i would however knock those seats out of the car and get something with a bit more quality, like the afore mentioned Kirkey's.

later,
Dave
Old 02-26-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

i think it was creative, and last time i checked most of us wear a harness that keep us in place if we were to wreck i would however use a aluminum seat tho.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:16 AM

i got plastic seats!!!

omg am i not cool like you guys?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Knock it if you want, but I have about $80 in this whole setup and it works well. You can't even buy a used Kirkey seat for that. Not all of us want to spend a small fortune to go racing. JS, at least I didn't have to get a fabricator to make them for me! Maybe if JS made his seat bracket a little more affordable people like me wouldn't have to come up with a cheap way to make our own.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 AM
kp
8 Second Club

lot of six and seven second cars out there with plastic seats. If the seat is braced in the back properly its not going anywhere with those.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The seat brackets in my car where made from a few different scraps we had laying around. They weren't the $80-$100 brackets like other people have. My friend hit a wall at about 100mph with the exact bracket and they survived.

Hugger- Nice job I would have did the same thing.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess if you have a very well mounted harness, you will be relatively safe. Just make sure your harness is attached to the frame or roll cage!
Old 02-27-2005, 03:25 PM

Looks good.

I run a similar bracket setup with my plastic (Summit) race seat and have had no problems at all with it holding up.

John
Old 02-28-2005, 09:51 AM
JS
10 Second Club

1st My buddy is a truck driver,and a fabricator just not a professional one...
2nd He makes this stuff in his spare time
3rd He did it for me as a favor
4th He'll make them for anyone and he'll get paid for them,There trick,light and beauiful and he has over 30 bucks in cost before there done.
5th JEALOUSY IS A TERRIBLE THING

Last edited by JS; 02-28-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
1st My buddy is a truck driver,and a fabricator just not a professional one...
2nd He makes this stuff in his spare time
3rd He did it for me as a favor
4th He'll make them for anyone and he'll get paid for them,There trick,light and beauiful and he has over 30 bucks in cost before there done.
5th JEALOUSY IS A TERRIBLE THING
Dude no one is jealous. Just don't knock someone elses ****. Every post about a seat bracket someone makes you come in and say how your is the ..... blah blah blah
Old 02-28-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Dude no one is jealous. Just don't knock someone elses ****. Every post about a seat bracket someone makes you come in and say how your is the ..... blah blah blah
I second that... Thanks DopeFed. I posted the pictures of my bracket so that others can see that you can make a lightweight seat bracket out of materials that the average joe can get their hands on. It's not going to win a beauty pageant, but it serves my purposes. I love this site because there is always someone with a creative way to make their car quicker and lighter: then there are people like you who stifle creativity and turn posts into a pissing match. So you enjoy your brackets, and I will enjoy mine.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:40 PM
JS
10 Second Club

WRONG,I always praise people if the stuff is SAFE,QUALITY AND MADE CORRECTLY.That bracket is IMO none of those things and I would NOT race a car with them....

Look at the welds for god sakes,Are u kiddding me?
IMO there dangerous and the average Joe should spend alittle more time in making something that HOLDS U IN THE CAR SAFELY...

A few others felt the way I did but u had to single me out becuase I judged your bracket alittle harshly,if I came off that way then I'm sorry but IMO there dangerous and I wouldnt feel safe 60fting in that bracker for repeated passes.

Good luck with your brackets....
Old 02-28-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

I have been 60'ing just fine with the first set of these brackets I made for over a year and a half ago. The new ones I made are identically designed to the old set only 1" shorter so I can get my helmet on easier. What makes you think yours are any safer than mine? Looks to me like yours bolts down to the same 4 studs in the floor that mine does. Since when did you become the judge of what is and isn't made correctly. I just can't see how you can compare something that I built to something that you HAD built Also thanks for criticizing my welding abilities, I weld very little and it was the best I could do. It may not look good but I guarantee the welds are strong. DopefedZ is right you just cannot stay out of a thread about seat brackets.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Motorboater

JS I have noticed that you tend to be very critical of what other folks do if its not what you yourself are doing, and not just these bracket ideas(i.e--the powersteering "looping" etc)

I personally don't like that attitude from anyone in here, and I think I have expressed this to you before. Mind you I'm not being a jagoff here or even reprimanding in any way, just stating a thing or two in response to your seemingly overall critical/one sided view of doing things.

now on subject..I think the brackets shown here are creative and realistically are ok to use..me personally, i'm on the fence if I'd use them seeing as i have a 6 speed and this thing gets really violent out of the hole dumping the clutch at 7,000+ rpm.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:26 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Fair enough Ghost,but I have seen u judge and give your opinion to people in a derogatory way too..I came off harshly and I was wrong,more so I just think these are alittle flimsy,but the guy sez they've been on his car for a yr so they must work,I for one wouldnt use one but they were creative and fairly cheap to make so I gotta give him his props.

But I do get alittle annoyed at his repsonse,Oh u had yours made?
So what?

My buddy is a truck driver/fabricator and has made countless parts for me and others,does that make this guy better than me becuase he made a bracket out of angle iron?

Lastly,the power steering line info was just for the guys who wanna use teflon and steel fittings.I see that alot of guys are using just clamps and after talking to a few of my buddies who work with hyd. they all told me once the pwr steering wasnt functioning u could use clamps or alum fittings and regular braided so I stand corrected.

My reasoning is this,120+ in the 1/4 is fast and 1.50 or quicker 60fts can do strange things to improperly welded pieces or things that are 1/2 assed.

I was just trying to let people know BE CAREFUL...

Its all good and I take the critique well
I'll try and be alittle more civilized in my passions

Last edited by JS; 03-01-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Teching In

u gotta do what u gotta do...........git er done

Quick Reply: The $15 race seat bracket (pics)