Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aerospace brake installation question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default aerospace brake installation question...

I got a set of rear aerospace brakes and am having some trouble with the install. old are all off and new backing plates are in with the o-ring spacer. now, when I put the rotor on to test fit, it just barely rubs the backing plate where the threaded studs are. WTF?? I thought this was a bolt-in?? do I need some kind of spacer between the rotor and axle flange??
Old 05-22-2005, 08:42 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You shouldn't need to. Which side did you put the spacer in on? Hopefully you put it in front of the bearing and sandwiches itself into the axle tube. Also, did you shim the caliper at all or did you bolt it straight up?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DERTY
You shouldn't need to. Which side did you put the spacer in on? Hopefully you put it in front of the bearing and sandwiches itself into the axle tube. Also, did you shim the caliper at all or did you bolt it straight up?
the spacer went where you said. it went into the indention in the backing plate so it basically made the plate flush flush, maybe that notch wasn't supposed to be there

I bolted the caliper straight up. any shimming would make it worse. I'll try and get some pics to make it clearer.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:40 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The spacer should go into the axle tube between the axle tube and the bearing. That should push the bearing out of the axle tube approximately .125" or so and align the bearing into the groove on the backing plate. The assumption here is that you are using a Moser 12 bolt because I do not believe this is needed for a 9". If you have the spacer between the bearing and the backing plate instead of in the axle tube that will most certainly cause your issue.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

ah, dammit. thanks.