Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my race weight reasonable for a stripped-down, 1SC '02 Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my race weight reasonable for a stripped-down, 1SC '02 Z28?

This is from a Myspace blog that I posted. I just wanted to share this information with the excellent people here in LS1tech.com.

The week of May 23-27, 2005, was the worst week to go on vacation, because it rained on the 25th and the 26th so that I couldn't get my baseline runs at Englishtown's Raceway Park and Atco Raceway respectively. In order to feel productive, I drove to a TA truck service area in Paulsboro, NJ, located on exit 18A on 295 south (which is 1 hour and 15 minutes west of Atlantic City). With a 1/4 tank of fuel remaining in my gas tank, I drove the car on a scale, waited a few seconds to get weighed, and was told by a man in a nearby intercom to go to the nearby fueling station so I can get my ticket. Please note that I was inside the Camaro when it was weighed. I also had personal items. The car had the 1SC equipment package meaning that the car has no power options whatsoever. The spare tire and jack were still in the hatch compartment. The wheel lock was still in the center console. I also have an automatic transmission meaning that the same exact car with a manual transmission would be lighter. The only modifications were a tranny cooler, a rear end girdle, NGK TR-55 spark plugs, and a switch from the factory GSC tires to similar-size Continental ContiExtremes inflated to 30-31 psi. Anyway, I drove to the fueling station, got my ticket, and paid the $8.00 fee. The ticket read GROSS WEIGHT 3560 lb. I drove back to Shore Mall (near where I lived) and got myself, my personal items (that I carried in my carrier bag that was also in the car when the car was weighed), and my helmet (that I wore) weighed on a digital scale. The scale read 164.9 lbs. Therefore,

GROSS WEIGHT of 3560 lb less my personal weight of 164.9 lbs (including personal items) = my Camaro's vehicle weight of 3395 lbs. That should be lighter than the standard V8 f-body's vehicle weight. Am I right? I don't know. Now, I'm just happy that I have a baseline vehicle weight so that, later on, I'll know how much weight I've lost (or gained) after my planned modifications have been completed. I'm still pissed that I couldn't get any more baseline quarter mile runs, because of the rainy weather. I've got the worst luck in the world!

What do you guys think? Is my race weight reasonable for the car that I have? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

It's pretty good. Mine was about 3350lbs last year with a good amount of wieght reduction, (I'm about 210lbs with my gear). Mostly free reduction mods but nothing really extreme. Should be around 3150 this year.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good start...now get the race weight down to 3000 and your golden
Old 05-28-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

My t/a weighed in at 3440 w/o me in it, but with NO weight reduction. So is there only a 45lb difference between a t/a and 1sc camaro?

Quick Reply: Is my race weight reasonable for a stripped-down, 1SC '02 Z28?