Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help me get better times

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default please help me get better times

I went to the track in April, that was my first time ever. I ran 5 times (only 3 good ones due to clutch problems) and had a best time of 13.284. my R/T was getting better (last 2 times were .094 and .064!) My clutch was slipping so basically my launch technique was to ease into it and floor it, and the clutch would slip a little but I never spun.

heres my mods (above times are w/o cam or clutch)
http://darmer.com/mods.htm

I got a new clutch (OZ700), installed my cam, got it tuned, and went to the track a 2nd time on Sat. With my new clutch and more power I have to learn how to launch good. I was hoping to get into the mid-low 12s but I barely got into the 12s.

Heres the video, go to "track runs 6-2-05"
http://darmer.com/videos%20main.htm

I tried reving up to about 2.5k and dropping it, and the tires spun.
I have 315/35R17 nitto DRs. I was running 15 psi, lowered to 12 and tires still spun fairly easily. (even when trying to not rev up and slip the clutch a little)

I was thinking I wasnt doing a good enough burnout but my tires seemed to be sticky enough. I have a hard time doing a stationary burnout, I just kind or did a rolling one up to the start. once on the burnout I started to traction hop.
when I shift to 2nd I spin a little.

I have a 9" but no slicks yet. I think if I can rev up, drop it and hook up decently it should help out my 60' times a lot.

the last few times I would spin off the line and start traction hopping very badly. I had to let off to stop and catch again. I didnt have this problem the first couple of runs but it seemed to start happening everytime.

my rev limit is at 6.8k, my shift light is set to 6.3 and I shift after I see it.
When I cross the 1/4 in 4th gear, my rpms are at about 5,700 I believe (gear calc). my car peaks at 6-6.5k http://darmer.com/dyno%20graph.htm so i think it would help if I can lower my gear somehow. I dont really want to change gears, I would prefer tires if possible.

the sources of my traction and time may be: stock torque arm, pro kit lowering springs, heavy rims/tires.

Basically I feel that I am not getting a good enough launch, and Im not sure what I need to do to fix it

What should I do about my gearing so I cross at a higher rpm?
what kind of slicks should I try to get?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking if the lowering springs were a problem I could get the dual eibach "drag launch" air bags that go inside the rear springs and you can raise the rear a little and stiffen it up. I think youcan buy just the bags
Old 07-04-2005, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Put a slick on it and dump it off the rev limiter. I got a 1.47 60ft doing that with the bottle.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

yeah thats what im thinking, i need slicks
according to the gear calc. my nittos are like 25.6" or something, so if I get 26" sized slicks that wouldnt really help on the gearing any.
I have my stock rims/tires, I think the rims are 16x8, would those rims be ok to get some slicks for, intead of buying some 15's

I think I want to get a line lock pretty soon to help on the burnouts
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 AM
12 Second Club

if I spin and traction hop, is that a sign that something is not right, should I just be spinning if I do? or is traction hop a possible occurance on a well set up suspension?
against smart judgement, Ive never checked my pinion angle w/ the stock torque arm, I will do that asap
Old 07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have any suspension work done? I think you need to heat up your nittos more.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

I put my main mods in my sig now...
what do you think about the traction hop though? is that a sign of a problem in the suspension (spring drop or tq arm setting) or not neccesarily
Old 07-08-2005, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

you can get M/T et streets that hook like a son of a bitch and the are 28 inches tall and 8 inches wide

next size up is 30inches tall and 10 inches wide
Old 07-08-2005, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

with my setup and my 315/35R17 nittos, I was crossing the 1/4mi around 5,700 rpm. since my cam peaks at 6-6.5 I was thinking it would be good to lower my gearing a little, and hopefully this could be accomplished with getting tires. According to "f body gear calc" my nittos are 25.68" diameter

so would it be possible to get some good slicks in a slightly smaller diameter, or just get some in the 26" range? (I know people usually run 26-28 but I was trying to get a smaller tire to help out on the gearing)

As of right now I dont want to change the gearing in the axle

thanks for the responses
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

ttt, Im still wondering if traction hop is a sign that something is not set up right in the suspension.

and how important is it to cross the 1/4 at the top of your power curve? If Im passing in 4th at 5.7k and I peak at 6.3k, how much is this hurting my times?