Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many sizes, so many brands, etc. which lightweight fan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So many sizes, so many brands, etc. which lightweight fan?

I've done a search every way that I could think of and there are probably 3 threads that involve lightweight fans and between the 3 of them, there was hardly any info in them. I know a lot of you feather weights out there are using one, so if everyone could, please list the brand, size, CFM, etc. fan that you are using or that you recommend. I'll be ordering my shifter within the next couple of days and would like to purchase the fan at the same time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are running a SPAL 16" pull fan. If I remember correctly it weighs around 3 lbs. vs the stock fans 12 lbs. They're available in different cfm.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club NA

It seems that most are using a 16" size fan, why is this size so popular and widely used? From the few threads that are out there, that is the size that comes up. Why is Spal so popular as well? Does it work any better than any of the other brands out there?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine used a 10" fan from AutoZone or the like but his is a strip only car and I dont know if one that size would work on a street driven car.

I plan to go pick up one a little bit bigger to put on my LT1 car, thinking about getting a pusher and put it on the front side to give a little extra room in front of the motor...for what ever reason I might need that for....
Old 07-08-2005, 10:47 AM
9 Second Club NA

I measured the radiator and its roughly 19 inches tall. A friend of mine recommended getting the biggest one I can fit, so would a 18" fan be too much or would the 16" be plenty? Also, if mount it on the back side of the radiator closest to the motor, I would need a pull type fan? Lastly, on the CFM, just look for the highest? Thanks.

By the way, where are ya'll buying the Spals from because they're not in Jeg's or Summit.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

more cfm = more cooling, I'd go with the highest you can find, 16 s probably big enough, but if a 18 will fit, and you are worried about cooling, then the largest that you can fit would be the way to go. As far as push/pull goes, just depends which side of the radiator you wanna mount it on, really shouldn't matter I don't think. Pull the air thru the radiator ( back side mounting ) or push the ar thru ( front mounting ) both do the same job.. make air go thru the radiator.