Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gtech sucks, track tested.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Gtech sucks, track tested.

Posted this in another thread, but thought it worthy enough to have it's own thread.

Took my GTech to the track, and it wasn't even CLOSE. I ran a 13.6xx and the G-tech said 14.2!! And, the Gtech said my MPH was like 104 and I was around 102. Almost identical both runs.

Over 1/2 a second off?!?!? Yes, it was perfectly balanced, set for 0.0 on a known level surface (and verified perfect zeroes on the level starting line) and it was pointed perfectly straight left-rightwise. A straight tilt showed 1.00 (so it was calibrated).

Boy did I get ripped off. Felt like bouncing this thing off the cement.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ebay time

Thats actualy more accurate than I ever thought they would be.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a GTECH on eBay for 30 bucks so I don’t feel too bad that it's not even close. The only thing I use it for is improvements when I don’t feel like driving to the track. Even though it says my low 12 second camaro runs 0-60 in over 5 seconds , I know that if the number changes that something is better or worse.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

It sounds pretty acurate for the mph considering the track is the average of the last 60' or so.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:54 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

My buddy has one. It is consistantly within .1 and a few mph of his timeslips. It reads high on mph b/c of the way it reads it vs the track. Not dead on, but his is close enough to get an idea of what a car runs. 1/2 sec is WAY off though, you might have a bad one or my friend got lucky with his.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shoot gtech an email.... see if they stand behind there product
Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

what model G tec was it? Was it the older ones?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

It's not the Gtech, when properly setup they are very accurate TUNING DEVICES. It's not just calibrating it properly, you have to assure that it doesn't move AT ALL during the run. any movement will cause the times to be off. What did you input for the weight of your vehicle? Try messing with the weight you entered and see what it takes to get the Gtech times to match up with your actual track times.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSix
It's not the Gtech, when properly setup they are very accurate TUNING DEVICES. It's not just calibrating it properly, you have to assure that it doesn't move AT ALL during the run. any movement will cause the times to be off. What did you input for the weight of your vehicle? Try messing with the weight you entered and see what it takes to get the Gtech times to match up with your actual track times.
Sorry, you are a little confused on that one. Weight has nothing to do with 1/4 mile time. Acceleration is acceleration. Weight would be used for horsepower estimates and stuff like that.

When the G-tech is pointing straight up/down (used a bubble level), it shows 1.00G (which is supposed to mean it's calibrated from what I understand). It's possible that the Gtech moved around during the run, but although I've used the G-tech only twice at the track, I have used it dozens of times out on a long stretch of nearly perfect level road, and it's been showing 14.1+ EVERY TIME (passes in both directions to compensate for possibility of unlevel road). So, there MUST have been at least ONE well-anchored mount all the times I've used it. I've NEVER seen it show a sub-14 time since I've owned it. Before I ran at the track, I was convinced there was something wrong with the car.

It's not the newest model, I got it for Christmas last year and it was on a closeout deal so it's probably a reasonably older model. "Maybe" the new ones are better, but mine is a POS.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

What's the weight you entered for your vehicle.

A gtech will always show a higher trap speed than the track.

I guess i'm confused because my Gtech is accurate.