Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Probs..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Traction Probs..need advice

More or less, I just need someone to tell whether my assumption is right or not. Last night at the track, I was having major traction issues. Car was off by over a tenth on 60', and I could barely stall the damn thing without pushing thru the verter and rear brakes (which are nearly gone and may be part of the problem), and having the car jump forward.

I'm am on 555R's so I'm not doing a John Force burnout, but I am waiting till I see the bastards smoke for a few seconds, and also doing some test launches just to make sure. A few passes, just fine, others....it would spin real bad on each test launch, but I wouldn't go back to do another burnout.

When i roll thru the waterbox, I run the front tires thru also. Some BS brand 245/50/16 radials on 16x8 Salad shooters. My thought is, the fronts are not treading water like they should, and I am just dragging the Nittos thru all that water the fronts are leaving behind...this being the reason the car only spins right after the burnout......altho i have done burnouts the same all season and never had this problem ???

or.....could it be the nittos are about gone.....they still have the 2 outer lines, and the smaller curved lines are barely barely visible. I thought i ran out the last set worse than these still hooking, but i dunno.

now your thoughts...

thanks!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm bettin the fronts are the problem with the 60's.

First off you DO NOT drive thru the waterbox with radials on! Drive around the water and back up into the box.

And another thing that could be effecting it is the fact that you can't get up on the converter as much as usual.

And last yes the Nittos MAY be worn a bit to far. Just depends. and did u ever change tire pressure?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

i usually run them at 15, same as that night, and i also have always driven thru, guess i got used to the skinnies. but i am throwing the skinnies back on, so i can see if thats the problem or not. also gonna try 12 psi...but on nittos ????? dunno
Old 07-13-2005, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

You shouldn't do test launches. I was told when you do that, you are taking away from the fresh rubber thst you would lay down from the launch. The way I do a burnout is to heat the tires up to a nice smole, then let off the brake and let off the gas after you feel the car hook. Pull straight to the line.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

well i race for points in a bracket class and every little thing counts once u leave the line, so i would rather blow the tires away on a test launch, and at least be able to back up and do another burnout if needed, then to blow a race bcuz of tire spin. but thanks for the tip...when i fix the problem, ill give it a try and see if she hooks harder.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always got better results by flashing the TC off idle. That was with my A4/Yank ST3500 and TH350/Art Carr 3600 and Vig 3500.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

well i never really have a chance to stall the stock verter much anyways...may be able to brake stall it 1200 if lucky!