Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lauch practice, how different is street vs. track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Lauch practice, how different is street vs. track?

I am planning on my first run at the track soon, and need to keep from being embarassed in front of my riceburner friends (who are all in the mid-low 14's).

I have been practicing my launches on back roads. BUT, the track has sprayed sticky traction stuff so I should try to launch just a "little" harder at the track than my street practice? Because the track has a lot more traction?

Or, is the track so close to regular streets that I should launch exactly as I am practicing?

PLEASE CRITIQUE MY TECHNIQUE:

I have a near stock 98Z with A4, Lid, LCA's and street tires, I start with braking at highest stall it'll handle, launch with just enough throttle to just get very very slight spin, back it off just a hair so the spin quits, then immediately hammer it when it's moving too fast to spin. Is this the best technique?

I have already read a LOT on this board (hours worth) and already know about backing into waterbox and most other stuff. But, if you have some tips you don't remember reading here please feel free to mention them!

THANKS!!!
Old 07-03-2005, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get some slicks and floor it.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.. I know some nice racing veteran is going to answere this for me, right? I will only get a few passes (guessing 2) so I need to make them COUNT.

TTT
Old 07-03-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have street tires don't go in the water, just in front of the water box where it's damp. Mash the gas to clean off your tires and go to the line (with 28psi or less in the rears). On the third amber, just go WOT from idle. I had best luck like this not stalling it up when I was near stock (lid, cutout).

Got my advice from guys with near stock at the time ls1's that were track ****** so I had a feeling they knew what they were talking about.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

dont go in the water, just spin slightly to dust off the tires (no smoke show) and I would not launch much different than on the street, what you really need is the proper track tire to make use of a super launch.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome, nice tips.

I did try that mashing it from stop without stalling it up and most of the time I get very little spin (although somtimes it breaks loose pretty bad, the stickiness of the track should take care of that).

Thanks folks, between the posts here and the ones on another web site, I now have a plan that I can feel comfortable with. I am going to go around the waterbox, try to back in where it's just damp (if I can), do a slight cleaning of the tires, and then just nail it on last yellow from idle.

From what I understand I should easily be below 14.0, if I can pull that off then I won't be embarrassed.

Thanks again....
Old 07-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
Awesome, nice tips.

I did try that mashing it from stop without stalling it up and most of the time I get very little spin (although somtimes it breaks loose pretty bad, the stickiness of the track should take care of that).

Thanks folks, between the posts here and the ones on another web site, I now have a plan that I can feel comfortable with. I am going to go around the waterbox, try to back in where it's just damp (if I can), do a slight cleaning of the tires, and then just nail it on last yellow from idle.

From what I understand I should easily be below 14.0, if I can pull that off then I won't be embarrassed.

Thanks again....
You have a pretty good plan, but I think you might still spin if the track prep isn't very good or if your ricer pals drive through the water box and drag water up to the line. (they tend to be clueless like that)
If you find yourself spinning a little off the line, try not "stomping" on the gas all at once, just sort of "roll" into it gradually. Back in the day when mine was close to stock, I got my best 60' times doing this. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.. I know some nice racing veteran is going to answere this for me, right? I will only get a few passes (guessing 2) so I need to make them COUNT.

TTT

LOL......I guess SUX2BU isn't a racing veteran.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Results!!!

I am pasting in a post I made on another website of my results, if you've seen this before I apologize.

-------(paste)--------

Welp, finally did it. Went to the track last night!!! Got 3 full runs in.

I played it safe the first two runs and just did a somewhat aggressive "street launch" from just above idle (to tighten up the drivetrain), very little to no spin, and ran a 13.698!!!! The practice (and advice everyone gave me) paid off! (My goal was a mere 13.9)

My next two runs I did with a slight stallup, and a really high stallup, and seemed to be no real difference in the times. All my times were less than 1/10th from each other on all 3 runs. I also managed to control wheelspin pretty well on all 3 runs. My 60' was 2.1xx each time (which I understand is about as good as I am going to get with my setup).

I would like to add that the GTECH SUCKS!!! I was too nervous first run so I forgot, but the second two runs I remembered to run the G-tech, and it said 14.2 both times!!! And, I had it zeroed out perfectly and was very careful to have it point perfectly straight ahead. At the starting line it was saying 0.0 (perfectly balanced) and I assume the track starting line was near perfect level. This was not user error, this POS Gtech was just TRASH.

I guess the reason I am so pissed about the Gtech is because it had me stressed out making me think my car was going to pull a 14.2 at the track and be embarassed in front of my friends. I was clearly stressed over nothing.

Here's my mods: 98 Z28 with A4 and Lid and LCA's. Everything else stock.

Thanks for the tips and advice folks!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:17 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With decent track prep you should have little problem with traction, even with street tires as long as they are in good shape (not dried out etc.).

I have run my wife's 2000 B4C a few times at the track and it always dead hooked with a 2.03 to 2.05 60' on her street tires at 26 psi. Just recently it had a "bad" trip to the track where it wanted to spin. Don't know if prep that night was not done or what, but I installed a pair of BMR LCA's and poly endlinks on the rear swaybar and now the car deadhooks again every time, still on street tires.

It has run a best of 13.25 with just an SLP lid and the EGR tube cut (free mod), so you should smoke your ricer buddies in their 14 sec. econo boxes.

I recently did a home porting of the TB and did the TB coolant bypass. BOO-YAH! I should be flying now.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:50 AM
9 Second Club

Ummm SUX2BU is a track junkie.. I would almost venture to call him a vet!!

Just cause its a simple answer.... dosent mean its wrong
Old 07-14-2005, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by longrange4u

My point exactly
Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by longrange4u

He never said he wasn't. He was simply asking for advice from someone in regards to his question. Obviously slicks would help, but he needed some advice with his current set up. i don't think he was being disrespectful or anything. Lets give the new guy who wants to learn a break here guys.