Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone changed to a carb setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone changed to a carb setup?

if so, what intake, carb size, tunning issuse? Did you use the MSD ignition for elctronic cars? PICS???? I am a forged 346 so has anyone installed a plate kit of fogger with this set up.

i posted this in the fuel section and got no response.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

I'd be very interested to know as well. I was o' so close to switching over to the carb'd set up when I had my LT1, back then they didn't have a LS1 carb set-up.

I'd imagine you won't get much response fom this site, as I'm sure most of the guys here are die-hard EFI guys that would never trade out their injectors, tb's, and fuel rails for an ancient ol' carb.

Even so, one of the major rag's (I forget which one GMHT, HPC, etc.) did an article not too long ago on the LS1 carb set-up that's currently offered. Comes with everything needed to do it and it made 50+ more HP on a stock LS1 than the factory EFI. How's that for die-hard???

It'd be nice to find someone with some "real world" experience who has possibly installed one or helped install one. The editors acted like it wasn't too terribly difficult to set-up....

Jon
Old 08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned

It's just a chore to swap over as you have to run provisions for a mechanical fuel pump, a distributor, and a few other small things. If done correctly there is no reason why a tall rise manifold with a properly sized carb wouldn't out perform efi in a lot of aspects.

I think that the consensus here though is why take a step back to go forward? It is already setup for EFI. There are more tuning options for the EFI motor, and the cost to setup for carb would out weigh the benefits in my eyes.

But if you're interested talk to shafiroff racing engines. They do quite a few carb'd ls1 setups.

Nate
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info and links in this post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/267311-carb-ls1-intake-converted-efi.html
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info guys. I was just wondering what everyone else thought. It seems like some of the 9 sec guys had carb setups and i didn't know if they where LSI based or running a SBC. Some of the local guys seem to think you can make more power with the carb setup and a stack a plate kit on it.