Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions on tranny....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some opinions on tranny....

I'm putting the car back down for a little while to do the safety stuff to get her legal for 9's and i'm contemplating selling my th400 and throwing in a glide. What's everyone's take on it, do you think I should go glide or stay 400? I'd like to be able to spray the entire 300+ shot that I built the motor for out of the hole, and at that kind of power level I just think the glide would be better suited for my car. I have to pull the tranny anyway, cuz even if I don't swap, I have to get a diff converter that'll better suit my setup. If I did swap, what first gear would everyone recommend, 1.76 and what size verter? Also, would it work well with the 3.73's and 28x10.5 ET Drags that I run, or would I need a shorter gear like a 4.10 - 4.56? Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate it!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Banned

Can you give us a little more about your setup?

1. Max rpm
2. Rpm you cross traps at now
3. How you plan on hooking 700 rwhp off the line with 28" tire?
4. What's your suspension setup
5. Weight of car
6. current stall
Old 08-21-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Can you give us a little more about your setup?

1. Max rpm
2. Rpm you cross traps at now
3. How you plan on hooking 700 rwhp off the line with 28" tire?
4. What's your suspension setup
5. Weight of car
6. current stall
1. Rev limiter is set at 7800, shift 7000 - 7200

2. Right now just on the 150 shot, crossing the traps at 6200 - 6500 (not sure the exact number)

3. I have no ******* clue, that's what i'm trying to figure out!

4. BMR extreme rear swaybar, bmr adjustable t/a, hals all around, tubular subframe connectors, badz lca's w/ relocate brackets, bmr adjustable panhard. Main thing i'm gonna change is i'm gonna get rid of my bmr full length t/a and get a madman, that should help me hook, and I may swap out my front hal f series for the r series.

5. Right now the car is like 3170 - 3180 w/o me (i'm 270), but it'll be closer to low 3100's or maybe a little less after I do the 10-point and get rid of all that garbage that's behind the dash. Plus she'll get lighter over time when I have the money to do the lightweight stuff, still on stock kmember, aarms and all that, and when I decide not to street drive her anymore (gettin to that point already and buying a trailer this week cuz there's just too many laws that could get me in a lot of trouble with street racing so i'm more scared than anything when I drive her on the street and can't enjoy her and the cops **** with me big time b/c of the open headers) I can start taking out all the bumper supports and all that ****.

6. Current stall is a Yank SS4000E. Everyone says it's too much stall for my setup and causing most of my hooking issues. It stalls to 3800 - 3900 on the transbrake on motor and then as soon as I let go of the button and the spray kicks in, she's flashing to 51xx just on the small shot i'm running now.

And the motor is a 374 cube ls1 w/ a big hydraulic nitrous cam from FMS and stg 2.5 TEA heads, so it'll probably be making over 700 on the full shot with a good tune, cuz it already made 572 on just a 100 shot with me tuning it, so like I said, I have no idea how i'm gonna hook that all, but I figured the glides softer first gear might help. If it's not possible, i'll just dual stage it like I had planned too, but it would be killer if I could come out on all of it!

Last edited by Loudmouth LS1; 08-21-2005 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

okay, here's my opinions (note i just said opinions)

1. I would go with a much lower stall, probably a 3200 stall for the nitrous and hope to see 3700-3900 when it flashes

2. I would work with the suspension and get the car to 60', there is no reason you shouldnt be in the 1.40 range on 100 shot. possibly even the 1.3x range with your setup. Keep working with it to 60'

3. I'd go progressive 100 off the line ramping up to the full hit in second gear if the tire will hold. Hopefully it will.

4. With the lower stall you'll want a little more gear anyway. A 4.30-4.56 will work wonders with a 29.5" tire

Also forgot to ask what times are you shooting for? 9.50's at 145 or so? Or as fast as the setup can carry you?

Nate
Old 08-21-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Basically, however fast the setup can take me i'd like to go! But yeah, I was figuring it'd get me somewhere around mid - low 9's at around 145 give or take a little. I still need to get a 90/90 intake/tb setup, i'm sure that'll also make a huge diff! The main reason I have 3.73's in the rear is cuz it was mainly a street car when I first put the 12-bolt in (was actually my daily driver at the time) and I needed to have cruising speed with the turbo 400. Now I have a work van that I can tow with and am buying a trailer, so I guess I could change it and throw a spool with 4.30's in there, since I won't need to drive it on the street, but I do still like to be able to drive it out to meets and stuff, so that's a decision i'll have to make. Guess I could probably find a 29 or 30 inch street tire that I could put on to make up for the diff and i'm sure if i'm gettin 29.5" slicks to fit, that I could fit that size street tire. What's the rule on max tire size in the Extreme Modified class here in the tech series, can I go 29.5? You said pretty much what everyone else has on the stall, about 3200 - 3400, which is why I was sayin I definately gotta change it out.

Thanks for the advice man, I do appreciate it, i'm gonna start lookin into **** and doing some more research. Staying with the 400 is definately the easiest route for me and get the car going again the quickest, cuz who knows if it would sell and how much i'd get for it, so if goin glide won't really solve my hooking issues, there's no point.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Basically, however fast the setup can take me i'd like to go! But yeah, I was figuring it'd get me somewhere around mid - low 9's at around 145 give or take a little. I still need to get a 90/90 intake/tb setup, i'm sure that'll also make a huge diff! The main reason I have 3.73's in the rear is cuz it was mainly a street car when I first put the 12-bolt in (was actually my daily driver at the time) and I needed to have cruising speed with the turbo 400. Now I have a work van that I can tow with and am buying a trailer, so I guess I could change it and throw a spool with 4.30's in there, since I won't need to drive it on the street, but I do still like to be able to drive it out to meets and stuff, so that's a decision i'll have to make. Guess I could probably find a 29 or 30 inch street tire that I could put on to make up for the diff and i'm sure if i'm gettin 29.5" slicks to fit, that I could fit that size street tire. What's the rule on max tire size in the Extreme Modified class here in the tech series, can I go 29.5? You said pretty much what everyone else has on the stall, about 3200 - 3400, which is why I was sayin I definately gotta change it out.

Thanks for the advice man, I do appreciate it, i'm gonna start lookin into **** and doing some more research. Staying with the 400 is definately the easiest route for me and get the car going again the quickest, cuz who knows if it would sell and how much i'd get for it, so if goin glide won't really solve my hooking issues, there's no point.

Exactly. Just restall and 4.30 spooled. You shouldn't have a hard time hooking on the 28" if you only hit it with 100 off the line (hopefully) and you could drop that 60 too. then once it's dialed in you could step up to the bigger shot and if it doesnt hook then just get more tire.

Good luck with your setup. Oh btw i really think you should go progressive with the hit. Might help with that tire.

Nate
Old 08-21-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks man. What I was planning on doing was 100 dry out of the hole, and then add in a 200 wet from my tnt kit at the top of first (hopefully she's hooked by then, if not, i'll bring it in in second), and then eventually when I get the money and a direct port kit, i'll work with progressive controlling that or still first stage dry hit and a little bigger hit on the direct port, we'll see how it goes. I have to buy new slicks before I bring the car back out anyways, cuz my 28's are done, so i'll check on the rules for e/m and if I can run a 29.5, i'll just go ahead and pick up a set of the 29.5's too make sure she hooks and for consistancy and possible playing with bigger hits off the line. I just gotta figure out how i'll make them fit! Guess i'll have to break out the sawzall!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

Yeah I haven't mocked up a 29.5" tire yet on my car. I imagine it's not going to be fun but it will be necessary by the end of next season. This season (unfortunately) isn't going to see anything big from me.

Nate