Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new weight reduction

I juut got done scraping all the undercoat out of the rear fender wells. All i did was take a torch and heat it up a hair and then scraped it right off. My main reason for doing it was not really weight savings. The entire bottom of the car is going to be base coat/ clear coated. But anyways, i decided to weigh the undercoat removed and it came out to 6 lbs and it only took about 45 min total to get it all off. Now i just need to get up under the car and get the rest off. Just thought i would post up incase anyone was interested.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:56 AM
Restricted User

Thats an act of desperation! Hell if I scrapped my rear wells of the burnt rubebr I'd probably lose 12#'s. Good luck with the painting.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:50 AM
FormerVendor

I didn't do it for the weight as i said.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Wow, that's a great idea! I never thought of that, we'll have to add it to the list. Nice work. I think I'll expand it to the whole underchassis. It's just sound deadening anyway. Could maybe get 15lbs or so out of the whole car.

g
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a good idea. After you scraped it off did it scrape clean or would I need to hit it with some paint to make it look good? Not that anyone ever compliments me on how nice my rear inner fender wells look.LOL
Old 08-30-2005, 05:11 AM
FormerVendor

It looks ten times nicer than it did with all that undercoat in there. After i scaped it off, it was all red(color of the exterior) so i base coat/clear coated it..I know thats overboard lol. If your car is black, you are good to go or you can just take some flat black spray paint and spray a coat in there and it will look great. The only other undercoat on the car is a little under the spot behind the fender wells and under the rocker boxes.I'll weigh it when i get it off but i'm thinking its not that much so prob. like 10 lbs total on everything. Weight is weight though. It does add up and this is a appearance mod lol. When i go to the track, i'm just going to spray down the fender wells when i do the outside so i can just wipe all the rubber out when i get it home.