Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Powerglide?? Best Choice??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
Yeah. I've seen 6 or 7 different Racepak files all showing a very large percentage of slip. One was a $3,000 converter used by a Pro 5.0 racer.
Didn't Chance sweep near all the classes at the World Street Nationals last year?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I dunno.

All I know is that a switch from Neal Chance to Pro Torque picked up .15 and 3 MPH on this NMRA Pro 5.0 car.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by next
Didn't Chance sweep near all the classes at the World Street Nationals last year?
Keep in mind that just because there is a sticker on a car, doesn't mean the part is actually on that car. Converters are important enough to lie about to people.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Coan makes the best powerglide...And probably one of the best converters on the market. Our 1500+hp Blown and INjected 540 in a 2450# car is going 6.80's and the glide has lived all season,gets freshened in the winter,coan goes through the converter other than that she lives...
Old 09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Mike Hall makes a nice 'Glide as well. They stand up to accidental transbrake activations at 40 MPH.

*Cough* Powell *Cough*
Old 09-06-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm glad you found a combo that worked well for your setup.

I hear what your suggesting, but I wasn't guessing from just seeing stickers

Did you give someone a new nickname? Whiplash would work

LS1likenoother - Dave knows his stuff. Having his converter in my old setup was a big key to it's success.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Powell was the one who did it with me in the passenger seat. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt either....
Old 09-07-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Powell was the one who did it with me in the passenger seat. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt either....
Ouch. That had to be a rough ride.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I woulda SMACKED him if he did it to me LOL
Old 09-07-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ls1LikeNoOther
Coan makes the best powerglide...And probably one of the best converters on the market. Our 1500+hp Blown and INjected 540 in a 2450# car is going 6.80's and the glide has lived all season,gets freshened in the winter,coan goes through the converter other than that she lives...

Does Coan make ur glide too? Or just the converter?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Guys this thread has taken off... Imm going to give Conan and Chance a call.

Kyle
Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Carb4thgen-Coan makes our whole set-up..We recently went to their big dawg Powerglide set-ups that numerous top sportsman and alcohol funny cars are running,for all the doubters(which there are many) their powerglides are well into the 6's and withstanding the abuse!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ls1LikeNoOther
Carb4thgen-Coan makes our whole set-up..We recently went to their big dawg Powerglide set-ups that numerous top sportsman and alcohol funny cars are running,for all the doubters(which there are many) their powerglides are well into the 6's and withstanding the abuse!
Thats badass... theres no doubt if it will hold all that it will do fine with mine...
Kyle
Old 09-08-2005, 12:08 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kyle, we've had great luck with Neil Chance converters. I've had a couple of them (different sizes) and have been thrilled with their results. You don't need a two piece converter, a single piece will do the job just the same. The main reason that I buy the two piece converter is for when we **** the trans out hard core and need to rebuild and clean them out at the track or to make some minor adjustments. So far that's more precautionary as we haven't had to tweak their converters very much. And if we did, Marty is very good at making the adjustments. There are others that are also very good, certainly every combo can be favored by one small thing or another that makes them different. Unless you buy them both and try them out, you will never really have the data that the Pro 5.0 guys get when they try out their various combos. I certainly don't think that's the point or experience you want to have.

As far as trans's go, I think that you would like the glide. Hutch and Rossler both make killer trans's in this part of the country. We have both of them at the shop and I'm impressed by both. I'm sure that some other sponsors here have some some great stuff too. Maybe we could have a demo program for you this winter....
Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DERTY
Kyle, we've had great luck with Neil Chance converters. I've had a couple of them (different sizes) and have been thrilled with their results. You don't need a two piece converter, a single piece will do the job just the same. The main reason that I buy the two piece converter is for when we **** the trans out hard core and need to rebuild and clean them out at the track or to make some minor adjustments. So far that's more precautionary as we haven't had to tweak their converters very much. And if we did, Marty is very good at making the adjustments. There are others that are also very good, certainly every combo can be favored by one small thing or another that makes them different. Unless you buy them both and try them out, you will never really have the data that the Pro 5.0 guys get when they try out their various combos. I certainly don't think that's the point or experience you want to have.

As far as trans's go, I think that you would like the glide. Hutch and Rossler both make killer trans's in this part of the country. We have both of them at the shop and I'm impressed by both. I'm sure that some other sponsors here have some some great stuff too. Maybe we could have a demo program for you this winter....

Thanks Steve.

If ya dont mind can you give me a run down on what all Rossler did to your 400 and about how much it and the converter was?? Is it about the same for the glide in price from Rossler or less since theres 1 less gear?? Converter the same?? PM or email if ya have the time since i know you dont want all of it posted up on here.... ill be up all night... im at work, working hard..
Did ya hear the bad news?? makes me
Kyle
Old 09-08-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys at what weight level would one be better then the other??? The car will prob be around 3600lbs with me in it, before i start doing some weight reduction... dont know for sure yet since the 10 pt cage is going in.....
Ill be making some phone calls in the morning to Rossler and Neil Chance to see what they can do for me.
Thanks
Kyle
Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kyle, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ***, but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word on it? Give Carl and Hutch a call about a trans. Both are highly respectable opinions. You can probably do ~3400 or a little more. Over time it's certainly going to wear more and it may need to be freshened up. With good parts and some TLC it will probably last a bit. Harlan's car was a slug bitch and the trans is ok. He beat the hell out of it last year. I heard it's coming out of moth ***** soon.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DERTY
Kyle, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ***, but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word on it? Give Carl and Hutch a call about a trans. Both are highly respectable opinions. You can probably do ~3400 or a little more. Over time it's certainly going to wear more and it may need to be freshened up. With good parts and some TLC it will probably last a bit. Harlan's car was a slug bitch and the trans is ok. He beat the hell out of it last year. I heard it's coming out of moth ***** soon.
That first part was awsome Steve....
Looks like ill be making some calls in the morning.....
Kyle
Old 09-09-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Made some calls and Talked for quite a while with Carl Rossler.
Looks like ill be puting the 6 speed up for sale and going with one of his Glides.
Now i just need to make some calls for the converter......
Thanks Guys
Kyle
Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 AM
8 Second Club

Isn't Rossler one of the few guys that makes the th210? Three speed with a 2.10 first gear. That might be right up your alley Kyle.

Quick Reply: What Powerglide?? Best Choice??