Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight reduction? Converting T-top to hardtop.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weight reduction? Converting T-top to hardtop.

Has anybody done this? Is there any kit you can buy to convert it. I've talked to a junkyard and can get the hardtop parts. I was wondering about what kind of weight loss there would be. I would guess the T-tops make it heavier. This is for a race car. Thanks, Tom.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at a hardtop car next time you see one.. it wouldn't be easy or worth it imho. I think a better alternative would be to make lexan or fiberglass/carbon fiber replacements for the t-top glass and do something with the hinging mechanism (remove weight) and just make the tops fixed.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Import Patrol

ya I agree, I don't think it is really worth the time and money you would have to invest to achieve what you are going for.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i looked into it a little bit, from what i have heard the frames are the same, you just need the window trim and the hood to be cut and welded.
I really wish mine was a hard top, as i dont really use the Ttops.

keep me updated if you do this.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

I put up a post about this on Camaroz28.com a while ago I will see if I can find the link later on today and I will show you what they told me. I mainly wanted to do it on mine because the first T/A I had was a hard top and I liked it much better but I also wanted it for a little lighter weight. I will get back with the other post.

here it is...

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by horsekilla 95TA; 10-03-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just buy a hard top. these cars are cheap now especially the older ones. for the time and money saved. you could just switch the drivetrain's.just my pennies worth
Old 10-04-2005, 11:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill chime in on this one.. I went to a GM wrecking yard when I was looking for a hard top. The guy had a smashed up hard top and showed me that all the bodies t-top/hardtop were the same. All that GM did was not punch out the holes for the t-tops on the hardtops.
To me it would not be worth it to do so, like others have stated it would be less work to just replace the glass in your t-tops and be done with it. But thats just my 2 cents