Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with cam only car issues....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005 | 05:43 PM
Launching!

and the lower in the RPM you go, the more they lose, I've seen as much as 25 hp and 35 tq at 2000 rpm loss with a big cam vs. a smaller cam.
I can COMPLETELY believe that. Just pulling some timing out of mine for nitrous kills 15lbs of torque across the entire rev range. I think I am going to wait until I can afford heads, then I will put some milled 5.3s on there with a smaller cam to help build torque but increase flow. I want this thing to run 12.0-12.20s without dumping the clutch at 5k rpms.
Old 10-09-2005 | 09:41 PM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Funny you bring the the increased compression.. I have milled ls6 headsw I bought of a buddy of mine that should put my car into te high 11's on compression with the stofck bottom end, should really help out the bottom end. Not that it's gonna matter after the A3 tranny and loose converter go in next spring.

Sux2bu, some of the people making the larger cams are warning people that the drivability isn't that good.. but I'm thinking more along the lines that if the cam's not going in a suitable car... don't even offer it to them, offer something that will work, unless you have someone that is dead set on turning their car into a tin can to race it.

I'm not claiming to be a genuis, nor do I have and creditability for my thinking on this.. but guys that have street cars, should get something in the 220 to 230 range ( say a 222/227, or a 226/230, no more then that, and something in the high 590's for lift.. this would give them the power increase that they are looking for, and be very user friendly, still get acceptable gas mileage, and not turn their car into a literal turtle until 30 mph is reached.

Wanna car that comes on about 500 feet out of the gates.. get a turbo supra or something. We have V8 modern american muscle cars.. manufacturers should be reccommending stuff in the power department that will help their customers heavy full weight car pull the fron tires off the ground out of the gates... that would be a better approach rather then tossing in the biggest cam that can fit in a stock motor. so the car can start to pull at 4500 rpm.. where everyone drives around at all the time on the street.
Old 10-09-2005 | 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
We have V8 modern american muscle cars.. manufacturers should be reccommending stuff in the power department that will help their customers heavy full weight car pull the fron tires off the ground out of the gates....
If you wanna pull the wheels off the ground in a HEAVY M6 thats gonna take a BIG cube motor aor some NAWSSSSS!
If you want to get a good time out of M6 you HAVE to launch it like you want to break it. you can't leave on 3000 rpms, feather the clutch and expect to run a decent time.
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:23 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Correct. Hence why I'll be doing the A3 mod myself in the spring.