Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Flywheel for Drag Racing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum Flywheel for Drag Racing.

I've done searches and the common response i've read is that an aluminum flywheel isn't ideal for drag racing. Why is this?

Its lighter and has less rotating mass and lets the motor rev faster? Is it b/c the RPM's fall faster between RPMS? If you powershift I think that would counter act the RPM situation.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It all depends on the car I have an alum one and love it. The steel is for less hp cars to help carry through the launch w/o bogging the motor.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Basically it's a momentum thing. If you have a heavy flywheel, it's free energy before it counts. All of the work to get it spinning is done before you cross the beams. Of course, "the heavier the better" is not the case either, but there should be a happy medium between stock and lightweight.

g
Old 10-03-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

I have run the spec aluminum WITH there light whight pressure plate.
now running same fly wheel with regular pressure plate.
it you have a heavy car with not too much power you need the rotating mass to help car from bogging. but you can compensate by Revving the **** out of it. I have over 400rwhp and i have to take it too 5500 at least on the two step to not bog, 6000 to take off really good
Old 10-03-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the input guys, I currenlty have a spec stage 3 w/ stock fly wheel and it looks like its taken a dump on me. So i fig if i need to replace the clutch again, i might as well look into flywheels as well

My car is puting down 555 on the hose and i currently leave the hole at 5000rpm on MT DR's. AMS Racing as a steel flywheel that weighs in at 23lbs for a good price. I'll have to do some more research i guess.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I went with the billet steel that spec offers.. I didn't weigh the factory unit against it, but they felt relativly the same in weight.. no real noticable difference by picking the 2 up.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Flywheel for Drag Racing.