Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wolfe Roll Bar, jig notching worth it...Chrome Moldy or steel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolfe Roll Bar, jig notching worth it...Chrome Moldy or steel?

I am looking to get one installed over this winter, looking to see which one I should start planning for. I talked to the guy who is going to install it for me and he has done lots of local cars (normally older cars) roll bars and finds that the jig notching never lines up and he has to change them anyway. Just trying to get some info on the Wolfe setups.

Is the jig notching worth it on the Wolfe weld ins?

I guess I don't understand where the back points would go? Do I need to go through the speaker holes or can I go on top just above where the tank sits. Do I have a choice.

Chrome Moly or mild steel? From my searchs on here I found that the Chrome is 15lbs savings over the mild steel, but could cost $$$ to weld up by the time its done. Suggestions?

How do you paint it. I was thinking of powder coating it before and then going in and touching up after the welding is done...?

Thanks for your time.......................
Old 10-08-2005, 12:19 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been covered many times, but I'll answer for probably lots of people...

Chromoly, lighter, stronger, yes more expensive and yes you have to TIG it together, but you can MIG it to the floor.

Wolfe all the way, great fitment, need I say more?

Jig notch all the way, will save you a bunch of time and headache. I can't speak for other companies, but Wolfe's jig notching I had no problems with.

I painted mine in the car with a can of spray paint after it was done. If you wanna spend the extra money for powdercoating, that's your choice. With fitment, positioning, getting it all sort out, you handle the roll bar a lot and it will get scratched, that is why I didn't mess with paint till afterwards.

You have a choice through the speaker panels or on top of the hump in the hatch area. I don't know the correct termanology, but keep this in mind, if you do a mini-tub in the future and you choose the speaker location, you're gonna run into the problem with the mounts being there on the wheel well. Go for the other option.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, did my research searching, just is a big Choice which roll bar to go with over the seat or through the speakers. I love the through the speakers but like you said if I would ever do the mini tub it would be worthless. I would like to tell myslef I would never do minitub, but I am the guy just this spring that said I would never install a roll bar. I would hate to have to drop that tank also.........

The steel one is looking like the better choice probably would save me less $$ welding it up, but 15lbs is 15lbs.

Thanks for the info.........
Old 10-08-2005, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with over the seat. Why...you don't have to cut the panels, easier to weld, and if you ever mini-tubbed, you won't run into any problems. Dropping the tank is no big deal, don't let those small things discourage you. By the way, there's a 20 lb. difference in weight and thats a big difference. Every bit helps.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

I got a chromoly rollbar from wolfe. It is more expensive, but once it's welded in it's probably there for good. It's easier to just spend the extra money the first time rather than possibly regret it in the future IMO.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:21 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I'd go with over the seat. Why...you don't have to cut the panels, easier to weld, and if you ever mini-tubbed, you won't run into any problems. Dropping the tank is no big deal, don't let those small things discourage you. By the way, there's a 20 lb. difference in weight and thats a big difference. Every bit helps.

I have never taken the tank out and I have put in 10 Wolfe cages in

Chromoly is better and Wolfe's jig notching is right on the money.

Quick Reply: Wolfe Roll Bar, jig notching worth it...Chrome Moldy or steel?