Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Madman reason to KEEP the front swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok what about having NO rear sway bar?Whats everyone think of that?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

I have done that too. The car handles very badly on the street.

At the track it will pick the left side of the car up like that old pic of Joe O's car.. and then it frequently unload the suspension and spin once it drops down.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls1LikeNoOther
Ok what about having NO rear sway bar?Whats everyone think of that?

Just like PSJ stated. I drove mine around without one for a bit. I was waiting for the drag bar to come in. And PSJ hit it right on. My car handled horrid on the street and the track. Pics of it installed are in my sig with the 9'
Old 10-15-2005, 01:42 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the spohn drag bar as well and it drives OK, the rod ends start to make some noise after a while though. Best compromise is the 1" sway bar with stock type end links and a little preload IMO.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:37 PM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
The spohn drag bar as pictured is half sway bar, and half anti-roll bar. It uses bushings for the rearend, so there still some 'give' to the suspension when going over bumps or corners...

Mounted:
http://psj.ls1tech.com/gallery/main....&g2_itemId=676

PSJ how is the PHR so level? Is the mounting point on the rear raised?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:39 PM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by kp
I have the spohn drag bar as well and it drives OK, the rod ends start to make some noise after a while though. Best compromise is the 1" sway bar with stock type end links and a little preload IMO.
Who's 1" sway bar? Hollow or solid?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Regular

cableguy,
i know you used to run a 4L60 trans but i noticed you have a t400 now. are you leaving off a t-brake now? as to where before you were foot braking it. that will make a big difference to your suspension settings if you moved from foot braking to tbraking. sorry i realize that didnt answer any quesstions...but i need to know that before i make any suggestions.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i would like to know which bar i should get for my car
i drive my car on the street frequently but not everyday

i went to the track yesterday and im pullin the wheels now but my right rear is comin down so hard i think its actually comin close to hittin the bumpstop even with the has set at 5/6 right side at 6

i was goign to get an air bag but would liek to know about the drag bars
Old 11-21-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would like to know the same thing as rerflash
Old 11-21-2005, 06:07 PM
9 Second Club

still footbraking...didnt get a t-brake cause you HAD to get RMVB

I got a ST 25mm swaybar and that helped a little more. I need to move my front tq arm mount up one notch to get it to ride out a little before unloading
Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

heres what it looks like to me. the initial hit from leaving is loading the suspension without you at full power yet. there is not enough power "yet" to keep it loaded. as the suspension starts to unload (from lack of power to keep it loaded), thats when it seems that the big power comes on..and everything is just out of sinc. EDIT: this "could" be wrong...the sound of the power coming on could be you blowing the tires off. its hard to tell from the vid.

what is the air bag doing for you? is it keeping you from shredding tires? or did it not work without it? or was it just rolling over and looked stupid? i am not a big fan of air bags personally. i realize that there is a need for them on some cars....cars that dont want to go to a full antiroll set up. i have used air bags on my cars ranging up to about mid 9's and have experienced problems after around 13psi. ive found to use the air bag as just a little helper...not fully trying to keep the car from rolling with it. every time ive tried more air (to keep it from rolling too much) it resulted in a car that doesnt work well.

im just trying to imagine my car (camaro) with your power plant. it would work awesome. my car transfers so smooth..and right where my suspension gets fully loaded, looks like about the same time it would be at full power...i may slow the front rebound on the shocks slightly.
EDIT: i tried an air bag in my car and i found it worked best the lower i ran it so i just took it out all together and it works the best that way.

your suspension just seems too stiff. there is a hard initial hit from initially starting the launch...but then after that your cars power comes on so smoothly that it doesnt seem like you should have to run the rear so stiff. when i say stiff...i mean the air bag. the rear end barely travels and then it plows into the stiff air bag.

its very hard for me to give you advice without being there...but the main goal is to make one smooth transition into the power.

im sure others will see it a different way. this is just the feelings i get from watching the video 150 times. the real video is more helpful than the slow motion vid...cuz you can hear when the power comes on.

Last edited by slow3hoe2; 11-21-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
That's what I went with, hte rod end lca's and phb make noise, only really noticable when cruising on the highway. As far as the 1 inch chromoly swaybar that spohn offers, I'v happy with that so far, stiff enough to preload and move some weight, but not so stiff that the car drives like it's broken or anything.

Quick Reply: Madman reason to KEEP the front swaybar?