Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Madman reason to KEEP the front swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Madman reason to KEEP the front swaybar?

Mine has always been removed and i get plenty of front end travel...maybe too much. My car rolls over on the right rear so i got an airbag and a little bigger rear swaybar but i believe the car is bouncing off of airbag. Obviously a nice drag bar would do the trick but this is my daily driver. I wonder if reinstalling the front sway bar might help the rollover and kill some of the front end lift. I know drag only answer is fat rear swaybar but any thoughts on reinstalling a front sway bar?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry,
Here is what I do, install the Front sway but when you get to the track just unhook both ends. it only takes about 15 minutes to do. If you want buy a $60 STB install that while your driving around town and take it off at the track (once again 10 min install/uninstall). I never belived a peice of steel across the engine bay could firm the car up as much as it did.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stb wont do anything for the body roll experienced in the weight transfer of the launch. neither will keeping the front sway bar.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:38 AM
9 Second Club

Leave it off and put travel limiters on it if you need to. There is no adjustment with the front bar if you leave it on. I don't think you will get enough transfer with it on. I don't have one and no cars that I work have them either. Just my 2 cents. We will wait to hear what Madman says though.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

would it have anything to do with your shock set up if you have aftermarket shocks and springs, maybe those would help?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Coal Mining Director

Some folks have been preloading the factory style rear sways with some success.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

You're suggesting having the front of the car travel compensate for torque roll - two different things going on there.

If you put in an airbag and still have a passenger side spin on the launch you need to add more air. How much psi do you have in it right now? I'll take a guess here and say you'll need about 32psi to level the launch.

A test that might help is to foot brake the car and have some measure each side of the rear of the body from the ground. Go back and add air until they are even under load of footbraking.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

i have been running 25psi in the airbag. I do have the endlink on the driver side a little bit shorter on the rear swaybar. I did do the footbrake stall check with a friend and it sits even when stalling. the problem is on launch...you can see it roll over and then seem to bounce back up like it is hitting the airbag. stock springs...Hals f series. It seemed to do best with the fronts on 8 which barely pulled the tire and rears on 8 but no matter what settings, my videos show it bouncing off the right rear. I assume its bouncing off the airbag...i guess it could be bouncing off the bumpstop but i would think it would make my 28" slicks hit the quarterpanel if that were the case and leave a mark or something on the tire.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Coal Mining Director

Do you want the driver side link shorter than stock or the pass side longer than stock? Seems longer on the pass and stock driver would preload better.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't think you are "bouncing" off the airbag. I think you are unloading the chassis quickly with the stiff settings on your shocks. Is the car spinning after the "bounce" you are seeing?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:28 AM
9 Second Club

yes it is unloading right after launch....it hooks then spins. tightening fronts seemed to make the most difference. here is a vid with the front set at 8 and one of my better 60' (1.54) though my friends watching said it still spun. Sorry for the quality
http://incontt.com/videos/launch1.wmv

and thanks guys for the help!!!!
lca are in middle hole with just a slight uphill rise to the front..(tried to get Madmans 2 deg setting.) They used to be on the bottom.
BMR tq arm is set -2deg pinion angle as compared to the frame of the car...not the driveshaft.
I just switched to a th400 and the bmr crossmember with torque arm mount has adjustments for the torq arm mount to move instant center. You can add that in to things i can try and i will listen to all ideas.

Last edited by cablebandit; 10-14-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Originally Posted by cablebandit
yes it is unloading right after launch....it hooks then spins. tightening fronts seemed to make the most difference. here is a vid with the front set at 8 and one of my better 60' (1.54) though my friends watching said it still spun. Sorry for the quality

lca are in middle hole with just a slight uphill rise to the front..(tried to get Madmans 2 deg setting.) They used to be on the bottom.
BMR tq arm is set -2deg pinion angle as compared to the frame of the car...not the driveshaft.
I just switched to a th400 and the bmr crossmember with torque arm mount has adjustments for the torq arm mount to move instant center. You can add that in to things i can try and i will listen to all ideas.
It seems as if your passenger side rear is unloading much quicker than the driver side.

What's with the 2 tone paint job?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cablebandit

Jerry did you notice any improvements just by moving the LCA hole?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

I have that Spohn drag bar that bolts in... $375 on their site... I went 1.35 so far, and I forget it's back there... Car drives like a normal car.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I have that Spohn drag bar that bolts in... $375 on their site... I went 1.35 so far, and I forget it's back there... Car drives like a normal car.

so its safe to daily drive with that? (Including Hwy speeds)
Also, isnt that an ANTI-Roll bar?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

Yes I drive around with mine no problems.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

would i need that for a low 11/ high 10 car or would a 25mm rear bar do..
(car will have a turbo next spring with a goal of 500rwhp)
Old 10-14-2005, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

The spohn drag bar as pictured is half sway bar, and half anti-roll bar. It uses bushings for the rearend, so there still some 'give' to the suspension when going over bumps or corners...

Mounted:
http://psj.ls1tech.com/gallery/main....&g2_itemId=676
Old 10-14-2005, 05:38 PM
8 second mod

i drove around with mine and a spool all the time, it was there, i knew it, but it was worth it!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:39 AM
9 Second Club

hmmm may have to get one of those.

2 tone paint.....look at one of my vids and at the end it shows what my car looked like when i got it...it was totaled

Quick Reply: Madman reason to KEEP the front swaybar?