Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Weight! Gutting A Fbody!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Race Weight! Gutting A Fbody!

Getting ready to ditch the front and rear bumper supports, ditching the rear seats. Maybe getting rid of the AC since i use the t-tops all the time.Anything under the dash, or other things i should be thinking about.

This is going to be a street car/daily but these things do not bother me, Im not sissy and will ditch alot of things off the car. And ideas, Ive done a search and im not coming up with any thing good.

Cars going to be getting some prostars so thats some mass being shead there.

Any help guys would be great.

JOE

Last edited by slick1851; 10-31-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the stickies up top... there a VERY long post with just about every weight reduction you can imagine...
Got mine down to 3200 with a 8 point mild steel cage and a 12 bolt and I still have bumper supports and stock k-member/a-arms and 18's on all 4 corners...
Old 10-31-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I just looked at the sticky........ I dont know how i missed it. Well most of whats posted was for a race car. So some things are a little out there, Im geuss im looking for people who have street cars and to them what made a differnce and what really did help them.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

If you can stand to live without the A/C and Heat... All of that adds up, as does the passenger side airbag...
Pull the dash and remove all the insulation on the firewall... Get a lightweight carpet... Stock stuff is VERY heavy... I just bought rolls of stuff that you carpet a sub box with and layed it out... Fiberglass hood saves alot... Mine is a street car, therefore I havent removed the bumper supports yet... But everything else that isnt neccesary for driving, is gone...
I plan on getting the the Wolfe Racecraft aluminum door panels... Do some searches for WOLFE DOOR PANEL, there are a few good picks of them here...
Hope that helped a little
Old 10-31-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1_Bad_LS1
If you can stand to live without the A/C and Heat... All of that adds up, as does the passenger side airbag...
Pull the dash and remove all the insulation on the firewall... Get a lightweight carpet... Stock stuff is VERY heavy... I just bought rolls of stuff that you carpet a sub box with and layed it out... Fiberglass hood saves alot... Mine is a street car, therefore I havent removed the bumper supports yet... But everything else that isnt neccesary for driving, is gone...
I plan on getting the the Wolfe Racecraft aluminum door panels... Do some searches for WOLFE DOOR PANEL, there are a few good picks of them here...
Hope that helped a little

Those door panals sound like a good idea, Im going to be checking those out.

Thats for the help, I can live without AC but im in chicago. I need my heat.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

The easiest way to do it is take everything out of the car and only put in what you need. If you're really crazy you can even strip the wiring harness down. I bought a $200 95 V6 camaro and took the whole thing apart before I put in a LS1 and I was suprised at all the extra junk I could remove.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jesus what is that like 4 ounces?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

I put a lighter FB hood on, welds, have dumps so less exhaust, back seats , spare out.
Will put racing seat in and maybe the light carpet. I would guess I dropped 200-250lbs but need to weigh in. Need to add a cage so it will gain some!

Quick Reply: Race Weight! Gutting A Fbody!