Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pin on hood, yay or nay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Maybe I'll do the Zeus style. Do they go right into the fender rails and upper nose support. They are deffinatly have a cleaner look.

I'll get some pictures of how mine was mounted. Its simple to do and if you take your time, it comes out looking pretty good. As said before, you just throw soft sheet on your roof and put the hood up there.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

GM, that elbow looks damn nice.. that could solve all my concerns with the hood height. May save me alot of trouble,a nd allow me to just go with a regular lightweight ws-6 stock height hood.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Big Show
Some people do it different ways. I just bought the "kit" from Jeg's that includes all the fastners, pop rivets and springs. Only took a few hours to complete the task.
Do you have any pics of how you mounted your plates? I imagine that you had to cut the fender lip since it has alittle over hang?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

my first one i cut, till i realized you didn't have to cut anything. you can use the bolts that hold your fender on. i just made the brackets out of angle aluminum
Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Launching!

I'm glad the LS1 VFN hoods fit "GREAT" as you say cause mine sure as hell didn't. And now that I think about it, none of the aftermarket hoods I have ever bought fit GREAT. Quality has been sub par too as I have sent back every single hood I have ever bought and that was from Harwood, VFN as well as Glasstek. They all use the same damn shipping company and the idiots always bust the hood before it gets to my door. I decided to just keep this one because I was tired of shipping hoods back to the manf. And before you ask, I even paid for the "crate" to get the hood shipped in....my ***...the crate ended up being some extra cardboard.

Anyway, I would do the zeus style fasteners before the pin on. With the fastener tool you could have your hood off just as fast as pulling pins if there was an emergency. It would also take a very large gusting wind to blow the hood off the car and it was blowing that much you wouldn't have it sitting on your car anyway. I take mine off and on by myself all the time with no issues so two people aren't necessary and if it is, you really need to hit the gym
What type of hood is that? That is exactly what I have been looking for...How high iks the cowl? Thanks,Jason
Old 12-26-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

heres a couple pics...... the cars kinda dirty and in the middle of installs
Attached Thumbnails Pin on hood, yay or nay.-pdr_0009.jpg   Pin on hood, yay or nay.-pdr_0011.jpg   Pin on hood, yay or nay.-pdr_0012.jpg   Pin on hood, yay or nay.-pdr_0008.jpg   Pin on hood, yay or nay.-pdr_0015.jpg  

Old 12-26-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Cool, thanks for snapping some pics. It helps out alot, I'll probrably do mine similar to yours.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

if you need anymore, just tell me
Old 12-26-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's my pin on hood , it hasn't been cut to fit the car yet because I have to install my lexan first. This hood is going to extend to the windshield. This is one of VFN's newest syle hood.

Last edited by MRI-TEK; 12-26-2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take mine off and on by myself all the time with no issues so two people aren't necessary and if it is, you really need to hit the gym
So how exactly do you grab it by yourself to keep from snapping it in two? I've tried to pull mine off by myself and thought it'd break in the middle. I always have to have a helper to lift it off which is a major PITA. Not that its heavy, just large and flimsy.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Do you have any pics of how you mounted your plates? I imagine that you had to cut the fender lip since it has alittle over hang?
Sorry, no pics of that although I should take some since you are the second person to ask. Actually I just cut notches in the hood where the plates go. Some people trim the entire hood to like an 1/8" but I thought it would be good to have the notches there so it would kind of hold it in place while it just sits on the car with 1/4 turns undone. I measured the fender and placed the brackets so they would be as even as possible and they ended up being pretty close But no cutting of the fender at all. I just took out two of the bolts (one on each side) since they ended up being right where the bracket needed to go.

Originally Posted by jshiver
What type of hood is that? That is exactly what I have been looking for...How high iks the cowl? Thanks,Jason
It's a 4" VFN hood.

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
So how exactly do you grab it by yourself to keep from snapping it in two? I've tried to pull mine off by myself and thought it'd break in the middle. I always have to have a helper to lift it off which is a major PITA. Not that its heavy, just large and flimsy.
I just grab from right next to the cowl induction part of the hood and the front of the hood and pick it up. It's only like 10ish pounds (a little more with the pins in now) and pick it up and sit it on top of the car or wherever I need it to be. The more centered you are picking it up (by yourself) the more sturdy it should feel. If you grab it from just the sides by yourself than I can see why it would feel like it's about to break since there's not alot of 'meat' out there.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bobby, I'll try that although I'm not sure I can stretch that far on my '68 hood. But yeah, when I grab it on the sides I'm pulling in at the same time which wants to bend it down the center...not good.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell yeah, get the pin on. I'm going to get a pin-on stock style fiberglass hood. All the weight savings and still somewhat sleepy stock-ish looks, and without a huge price tag. Those hoods are so light, and I've taken my friend's off, it's not bad at all.

Quick Reply: Pin on hood, yay or nay.