Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Z is on a major diet!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Project, that thread gave me some good ideas. I forgot to add that I will be getting rid of the abs, and adding HALs to the rear, the cage will be chrome moly,and the hood I have now is fiberglass(2 3/4" cowl) pinned in the front and hinged in the back(I may be selling it for a 4 inch pin on).
Old 01-09-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks Great I will be putting my SS through the samething very soon here But I will always have the M6 no matter what!!!!

Dan
Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monsterls1
I haven't taken that much wiring out just all of the airbag and heating/air! I have seriously considered a Painless set up but I want to keep my stereo and power windows and locks!!
the 30lb-40lb weight loss in wiring in my car is with keeping the power door locks, power windows, alarm, horn, wipers, all working lights, keyless entry. I still daily drive tha car.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Launching!

SUX2BU- I will probably be closer to that number once the ABS wiring comes out as soon as the new rearend comes in.

I just picked up my Billingsley HVAC delete plate today, I have a couple bolts holding it in place, I'll get the others tomorrow. Next is the battery relocation !
Old 01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by monsterls1
SUX2BU- I will probably be closer to that number once the ABS wiring comes out as soon as the new rearend comes in.

I just picked up my Billingsley HVAC delete plate today, I have a couple bolts holding it in place, I'll get the others tomorrow. Next is the battery relocation !
I didn't sdo the battery relocation. I figure why ADD 7-12 lbs by adding all that thick gauge battery cable to the rear of the car, battery box and kill switch mechanism when you can just put a smaller battery up front and LOSE 20-25 lbs. Thats a 27-37lb difference.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Launching!

I just figured the weight of the battery would be better over the rear tires, ,and I plan to put a 1 gallon fuel cell in its place for a stand alone fuel system if I ever get a direct port kit (depends on how money is this year)
Old 01-13-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Can you get the AC evaporator and heater core out without removing the dash? The dash looks like a bear to remove!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can probably get the heater core. It's pretty light though.
The blower weighs more. It comes out even easier.

The evaporator weighs almost nothing, and won't come out.
The housing for the evaporator weighs more.
If you cut off the housing, then you can get the evap too...

Some pics and weights here:
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=6589
Old 01-13-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
the 30lb-40lb weight loss in wiring in my car is with keeping the power door locks, power windows, alarm, horn, wipers, all working lights, keyless entry. I still daily drive tha car.
Does that 30-40 lbs include the radio, amp, and speakers?
Fuse blocks?

I doubt that the entire wiring harness (dash and chassis) weighs even 20 lbs... (excluding the 12v starter cable and cable to the fuseblocks)
Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

The dash is not that hard to take out..i pulled mine with the cage in and it still wasnt bad. I had eastside make my HVAC and they color matched it to my car.. Here is a pic

Last edited by ApacheDrill; 01-13-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by John_D.
You can probably get the heater core. It's pretty light though.
The blower weighs more. It comes out even easier.

The evaporator weighs almost nothing, and won't come out.
The housing for the evaporator weighs more.
If you cut off the housing, then you can get the evap too...

Some pics and weights here:
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=6589
Good write up, thanks!

I have the blower out now. It weighs approx. 3 pounds. That leaves another 14 pounds if everything weighs 17. Not sure the work involved in taking the dash out is worth 14 pounds.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fuse blocks?

I doubt that the entire wiring harness (dash and chassis) weighs even 20 lbs... (excluding the 12v starter cable and cable to the fuseblocks)
Doubt it weighs 20lbs!! Thats nuts, I have a complete dash harness, and fuse box harness and it has to weigh almost 50lbs, maybe more. Theres alot more wires than i previously thought.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Fuse blocks?

Nope the radio, amp and speakers were about another 20-30 lbs.
I'm talkin about just wires, wire loom tape, fuses and relays.
Untill you pull a COMPLETE harness out of a car you have NO IDEA how many wires there are.
I probably could have lost another 20-25 lbs taking out the power windows, keyless entry and stuff like that but this is not a race car. Hell i'm even thinkin about throwin a remote start on it.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Nope the radio, amp and speakers were about another 20-30 lbs.
I'm talkin about just wires, wire loom tape, fuses and relays.
Untill you pull a COMPLETE harness out of a car you have NO IDEA how many wires there are.
I probably could have lost another 20-25 lbs taking out the power windows, keyless entry and stuff like that but this is not a race car. Hell i'm even thinkin about throwin a remote start on it.
How long did it take you to got through all the wiring. I'd love to do it, but I suck at wiring.

Are you for hire?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dear John
How long did it take you to got through all the wiring. I'd love to do it, but I suck at wiring.

Are you for hire?
well i did mine a few minutes at a time it sat for about two months waiting on parts. But if the interior is allreday out of the car i could do a car in about a day.
did my friends car in about a couple days with about a couple hours hours a day.
I'm always for hire! but i doubt you wanna fly me to Chi town.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Sweet Cheeks

well i did mine a few minutes at a time it sat for about two months waiting on parts. But if the interior is allreday out of the car i could do a car in about a day.
did my friends car in about a couple days with about a couple hours hours a day.
True true.

Man, someone needs to sell a drag harness for us that just want the basics(windows, locks, headlights, keyless entry, and well a radio for my light streetcar)
Old 01-13-2006, 04:30 PM
LC
TECH Resident

do you just cut around wires, or is there a proper way to disconnect everything that is not needed?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LC1
do you just cut around wires, or is there a proper way to disconnect everything that is not needed?
Its really VERY easy. just time consuming. Fist you take off ALL tape and wire loom holding the harnesses together. then you yake something you don't need anymore like ABS and cut the plug off. You then chase EVERY single wire to where it begins. some do loops from inside to outside then back inside!
It helps to have a wiring diagrahm incase you get confused.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Larry
Good write up, thanks!

I have the blower out now. It weighs approx. 3 pounds. That leaves another 14 pounds if everything weighs 17. Not sure the work involved in taking the dash out is worth 14 pounds.
It's 17 for just the ductwork I got rid of... The blower and heater core is over and above that. Plus that big chunk I left in the car is more weight too, that's not included in the 17.

Taking the dash out is a pain, that's for sure. Good time to go after the passenger airbag if you haven't done that yet.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

time consuming. First you take off ALL tape and wire loom holding the harnesses together. then you yake something you don't need anymore like ABS and cut the plug off. You then chase EVERY single wire to where it begins.
Definitely time consuming.

Under the hood I deleted foglights, a/c, abs, cruise, windshield washer, 2nd gear start. Kept headlights, turn signals, fans, wipers. Originally a v6 car, so no air pump. No tcs.

In the car I deleted the same as above, plus the radio, speakers, amp, shock sensor, seat belt detection, brake pedal disengage for the cruise. Kept bcm, blower for hvac, interior lights, trunk release. And the power locks and windows.

Still gotta tape it all back up...

But not until I relocate the pcm into the car and reroute some of the wiring for that.