Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange 12 bolt vs. Billingsley fab 9 weight results.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good thing about a 9in over a 12 bolt:

You are limited in some cases to the size tire you can, or are even willing to, put on these cars. So to get the MPH that you might be looking at in a car with only a 28in tall tire you have to go down in gear in the back. This where the 9in comes in. The highest gear ratio that you can go with on a 12 bolt and still keep the spool is 3.73 gears and those are custom gears. In a 9in you can go all the way to a 3.08 and maybe even lower then that and keep the spool. Besides the obvious, being stronger factor. You really can't beat a 9in excpessially if you go with a light fab housing 9in. Then you have the strength and it is lighter then the 12 bolt. It is alittle more expensive but well worth it IMO.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
The good thing about a 9in over a 12 bolt:

You are limited in some cases to the size tire you can, or are even willing to, put on these cars. So to get the MPH that you might be looking at in a car with only a 28in tall tire you have to go down in gear in the back. This where the 9in comes in. The highest gear ratio that you can go with on a 12 bolt and still keep the spool is 3.73 gears and those are custom gears. In a 9in you can go all the way to a 3.08 and maybe even lower then that and keep the spool. Besides the obvious, being stronger factor. You really can't beat a 9in excpessially if you go with a light fab housing 9in. Then you have the strength and it is lighter then the 12 bolt. It is alittle more expensive but well worth it IMO.
A lightened 9" isn't lighter than a lightened 12 bolt. That's what we're saying.

Stonger, sure, but not lighter.

IMHO I feel you only need a 9" for pure strength, big horsepower, or a hard hitting combo. Ex(Transbrake/Nitrous/Manual) setups.

Madman's right, it's hard to compare the two.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def not only a function of HP but also 6 speed vs auto and how hard you're 60 footing the thing. there are 750 hp cars out there on drag radials not hitting the rear hard as a 450 hp car coming off the limter on an et drag.

i subscribed to that theory myself, i ran a 9" as a 6 speed but now that i"m th400 again i switched to a strange 12 bolt to lose some weight, knowing i should still be fine at my hp and 60 foot levels with the auto instead of the much harder hitting 6 speed.

i think 40 lbs is 40 lbs if you got the money but for the average racer on a budget like me sticking with the more "off the shelf" rearend ends up being the ticket.

Quick Reply: Strange 12 bolt vs. Billingsley fab 9 weight results.