Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

experimental Induction setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default experimental Induction setup

Ever since one of my foglights burnt out, I've been trying to figure out a way to turn those into intake ports. However, all my designs and blueprints would have the ducting pinched and squeezed more times than a hooter's waitress; any extra air would be neglible. I know some people here were able to pull off some intake mods like the "big gulp" and one other, so do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Are you not wanting to ditch the washer fluid tank? Doing that should clear up some room for you. Also cutting or completely removing the bumper support should help too.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

the only thing with that is both of those are towards the middle of the bumper....I have a Firebird, so the foglight ports are way out on the edges
Old 02-10-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your foglights are pretty much where mine are and there isnt much room to do anything. have you looked into making something similar to either the ftra/ssra ? or buying one of them products?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

I have, but the thing is, I'm tryin to beat out other Firebirds, and I'll never do that if I get the same mods as they do. That's why I'm tryin crazy stuff like this
Old 02-10-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

What all do you have done so far to the intake track as well as the rest of the car? I was able to get a 15.0 out of my 1998 M5 Firebird about 6 years ago
Old 02-10-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

this is what I had when I ran 15.4:

-Flowmaster Catback
-Shaved Airbox
-Custom Bellows
-!FRA
-B&M short throw t-shifter

And since then, I've added TR-55s and a aluminum DS
Old 02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

V6 car I assume. Start gutting weight out... anywhere and everywhere you can. the gains that you will see from something other then a ssra or the like is so minimal, that I would spend your time and efforts on other areas.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

ok, thanks for the input
Old 02-10-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

I agree. it certainly would not be any better than an SSRA and would take a lot more work.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Restricted User

Plumb some nitrous in there.....cure for the common car!
Old 02-10-2006, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could do something like this. This guy V6 bird has the two holes behind his license plate cover. in a firebird formula.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

any pics of that particular V6?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
any pics of that particular V6?
its a V8 furmula his name on here is "V6 bird".
Old 02-11-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
this is what I had when I ran 15.4:

-Flowmaster Catback
-Shaved Airbox
-Custom Bellows
-!FRA
-B&M short throw t-shifter

And since then, I've added TR-55s and a aluminum DS
A few other things that I had on mine that were cheap and helped out quite a bit were a poly. trans mount, poly. TA mount, and Lakewood LCA's. I also cut out holes where the hood latch / firebird nostrils are so the air would flow straight though to the airbox opening.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Race your car!

A set of geara, and a converter would do wonders, as well as a good tire... after you remove at least 250 lbs from the car. You ahve a v6 car, it's the least likly to ever be worth anything, and unless you need it as a daily driver, every creature comfort needs to take a hike, a/c, radio, back seat, rear seat belts, spare, jack, front swaybar, and anything else bolted on you can remove and still drive the car.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe I should back up a bit.

I already have all that stuff in mind. My "To Buy" list has LCAs, SFCs, headers, low-temp thermo, tires, a rear axle w/ at least 3.42s and a posi, a clutch, relocation brackets, a good tune somewhere along the line...and that's just to mention off the top of my head. So I know how to build my car. The only thing Im confused on is with something that I just thought up late one night; turning the foglight ports into functional air intakes.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Race your car!

I wouldn't wory about that... lke I said, I ahve seen people try alot of that stuff over the years.. a mod like the big gulp, or a ssra will work, but it takes something like that, that can flow a TON of air to really see any advantage.... and if guys you are racing are already running ssra or the like, you aren't gonna be any better off with anythign else, just get what they already have, at least it will even things up. Removing weight, in hidden ways, like taking the speakers out in the back, rear panhard bar support, heat shields, stuff like that will get some weight out of the car that noone will notice. Get a lightweight battery, anyone asks, just tell them it was cheaper to do. remove the washer bottle resivoir, if anyone asks, tell them you had to replace the pump, stuff like that. 100 lbs out of a v6 car will make a good difference... figure it like this, take teh car's weight, divide it by the HP, get teh lbs per hp, remove 100 lbs, do the same. Teh less hp you have, the more of a difference the same amount of weight will do.

Also, I'd think abotu ditching the flowmaster, as that's the worst catback you can run power wise. If you can tolerate a little more noise, a LM will make more power, and is lighter. Or, if you have no emmissions rules where you live, remove everything off the manafolds and redo it, and dump it under the car with no cats, just xr1 borla mufflers or something. If headers are in the future.. don't do anything, wait until you get them, and do it all over afterwards.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you are on the right track so far, I think the best thing you could do for a rear end is to get a stock one out of an M6 ls1 car, it would be an easy swap with little down time and you wont have to worry about finding a posi unit and gears and the install price.

JL ws-6 has a good point about taking weight out, it will make a very noticeable difference in how the car performs, I know it helped my car out quite a bit. I don't think a loudmouth cat back would be that great though, they make ls1's sound bad enough, on a v6 is would just sound horrible a slp dual/dual would keep things quiet and still flow better than the flowmaster setup. I personally went though about 6 different exhaust setups on my old car and my favorite was a stock WS6 cat back using a 3" pipe from the y-pipe to the cat back (which got rid of the cat. converter, if sounded great and made the most power for me.

As for using the fog light holes for air induction, I thought about this on my firebird as well as my Formula I had and never ended up doing it on either car, the gains to be had (what little they might be) were not worth it for me to lose my fog lights.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

remove weight
gears
nitrous