Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transbrake and two step

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperC1
No, I'm not talking about the one in the ecu. I'm talking about adding a seperate rev limiter to launch with. In turn what I'm saying is if the h2step is in a since a rev limiter why couldn't you just add a second rev limiter on a momentary switch and have it do the same job as the 2step?
You could if the 2nd rev limiter only worked on the button somehow. The 2step is essentially 2 rev limiters. One works with the TB activated, one works for down track running or burnout.

I agree with the idea of using a 2step to control the launch rpms. Some conditions will warrant a harder launch than others, so the ability to dial your launch rpm down for less traction would be nice. Otherwise your gonna launch at true stall no matter what.

Derty- for us boosted guys, your saying that a 4000stall will not stop at 4000 unless our tq happens to peak right there? Or in other words the boost will in effect cause the stall speed to be higher? If thats the case, I definitely want a 2step.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:03 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

here.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:03 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fire67
Derty- for us boosted guys, your saying that a 4000stall will not stop at 4000 unless our tq happens to peak right there? Or in other words the boost will in effect cause the stall speed to be higher? If thats the case, I definitely want a 2step.
Yes. Horsepower is a function of torque. As boost increases torque increases until you either stop the boost from increasing (which is what we do in conjunction with a two step). As the engine torque keeps going up the stall speed will change. It's not going to rocket to infinity, but you are going to see that on a 4000 stall converter that it will continue to climb. Eventually it will plateau.

The addition of a two step to a turbo car does some additional magic that helps the boost come up a little faster by creating a detonation scenario in the exhaust. That detonation increases exhaust pressure forcing the turbine speed to increase.

There are a few people using transmissions with the Easy Stage option from Rossler. In that case Easy Stage locks the oil in the converter preventing new oil from going in and lowers the line pressure effectively. By lowering the line pressure they're allowing the stall speed of the converter to come up much faster. I'm not a fan of that approach not because it helps the stall come up faster but because that oil trapped in the converter is getting real hot and is not being replaced. So, as soon as the trans button is let go that super hot oil goes right down your trans, through all the clutches, etc. and into the pan where nothing but significantly colder oil awaits it. If your trans holds up that's fine, but when it fails your super fucked.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Derty-
That explains is well enough. Being that my car is supercharged instead of turbo, the scenario would be slightly different in that I will not need something to limit boost. The 2step will do that by controlling rpm's.
Thanks for the explanation, Im going to pick up my TH400 today and will be stopping by the speed shop to get a 2step box while Im out.

Quick Reply: Transbrake and two step