Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubber on the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:18 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not a cleaner, its just some greasy tire dressing stuff. Spray it on before you hit the track and the rubber just falls off. Armor-all would probably do the same thing but this is a real fine spray paint like mist and a can lasts me a long time. It doesnt take off the wax either and washes off pretty easy after you wipe the rubber off. I just get it at a local parts store.

I have been drag racing racing for 25+ years, this is the easiest way to go I found so far and doesnt hurt the paint at all. Have to be carefull when wiping the rubber off so you dont grind something into the paint but you really dont have to wipe hard, rubber just falls right off. It does leave a greasy film behind but regular car soap gets it right off.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:29 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Screw geddex, dont know what kind of burnouts people do where the rubber just rinses off but it doesnt work like that for me lol. Plus if you leave it on the car for a few days it stains the paint
I've experienced the same thing on both my cars! Takes rubbing compound or a really good cleaner wax to get off the damn stains, and the Formula still has some from 3 years ago!

I've been using Simple Green cleaner after the races, and it works pretty well.

I'll have to try the Duragloss method, thanks Kevin!

Of course there's always the easiest way = gasoline and a rag!

Derek
Old 05-02-2006, 11:59 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Villain281H

Of course there's always the easiest way = gasoline and a rag!

Derek
I remember when I was kid using kerosene (or sometimes gasoline) and a garden sprayer to clean the rubber off the inner body of a local funny car - thats where I developed an aversion to slick rubber lol, imagine being covererd from head to toe with kerosene and chunks of melted gooey rubber on a 95 degree day..
Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I read of someone using baby lotion to keep the rubber from sticking....I believe it was some car magazine that I had back in the early 90's
That was probably baby oil
Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I remember when I was kid using kerosene (or sometimes gasoline) and a garden sprayer to clean the rubber off the inner body of a local funny car - thats where I developed an aversion to slick rubber lol, imagine being covererd from head to toe with kerosene and chunks of melted gooey rubber on a 95 degree day..
Somehow I can imagine this. I usually get lazy and don't clean the rubber off the nova for 2-3 month period. After I'm done my hands are stained black for days.

Derek