Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting factory carpet in two pieces

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutting factory carpet in two pieces

Anyone tried this? I did a search, but only found results on rear seat delete panels and replacing carpet with lightweight stuff. I also don't want to spend any money!

My rear seats are always out, and I'm thinking of cutting the factory carpet into two pieces under the front seat (so it's not visible). I plan on leaving slits in the rear section around the rear seat mount bolts for easy installation/removal on track days. You could also take this a step further and remove the backing from the front section, which would be left in place all the time.

This should reduce track day carpet weight at least in half, with no apparent drawbacks. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut in in half and then take out both halves

and buy lightweight carpet, or some other fabric
Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea.

I flipped my back seat down, and cut along that line. That part that goes over the axle/gas tank hump was a little more than 10 lbs. Also cut out a square under each seat. The 4 squares were right at 4 lbs.

But being able to take that back 2/3's out would be even better. And being able to put it back in...
Old 05-02-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm doing a cam swap this weekend, but when i get around to doing this I will take pictures and document the results. The more I think about the idea, the more I like it.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 PM
8 Second Club

well ill tell ya what i did. i took the carpet out of the entire car and gutted it of all sound deadining(btw there was alot of stuff under the center counsel as well) and did exactley what you want to put the front carpet back in and cut a seam under the rear seats. i currentley have the rear carpet in but it can come out in a snap. imo go for it.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Ablake! I actually want to leave the backing on the carpet since I drive my car everyday, then just remove the carpet for the track. I'm going to cut it as close to the front seat's forward seat bolts as I can, to remove the most amount of weight on track days. Then just make slits around all bolts so it can slide right out once the rear seats are removed.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:32 PM
8 Second Club

yea it is up to you i will say when i stripped everything under the carpet it made the car quite abit noisier but i dont mind